none
Why is the "Monitor" tab in Portal showing "No Data Available" for my functions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an Azure Function project with two functions running in the Azure Portal. The functions seem to be working well but when I open the "Monitor" tab for any of them in the portal, it loads up empty telling me "No data available".

I can add that when I look a the table storage that's configured for the functions project I can see that log messages are written to it.

Another important detail is the my Azure Functions project was recently migrated by me, manually, from the older '.funproj' format to the newest '.csproj' format. I  have coded, tested and deployed the project from Visual Studio 2017 Preview 3 using the latest "Azure Functions tools for Visual Studio".

How can I identify the cause for monitoring data not showing in the portal and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
    urig

urig

Monday, June 26, 2017 12:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Have you seen this post: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43277013/compiled-azure-function-monitoring-no-data-available?

Hope this helps!

Regards, Sjoukje

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you.

• Marked as answer by Uri Goldstein Monday, June 26, 2017 2:08 PM
    Monday, June 26, 2017 12:28 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Thanks very much - I followed the instructions in the accepted answer at that link and that resolved my problem.

One follow up question that I have - I have an empty host.json file in my VS project. Having published it (using VS), the deployed host.json remained with an old id in it. Why is that? Should my empty file not have overwritten the file in Azure?

Thanks again,
    urig

urig

Monday, June 26, 2017 2:08 PM
  • Yes the empty file should have replaced your old file. If you are using the preview tooling for VS 2017, check to make sure your file is set to Copy to Output Directory: Copy if newer or Copy always.
    Monday, June 26, 2017 8:16 PM
  • Thanks. I've just checked and my host.json file is already set to "Copy if newer". So I still don't know why it was not deployed.

urig

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Are you able to reproduce? If you modify the host.json again is it still not published? When you do the publish action, take a look at the output that appears. It should list the actions its taking, and you should see a line for it updating host.json like this:

FunctionApp1 -> C:\Users\pbatum\Source\Repos\FunctionApp1\bin\Debug\net461\FunctionApp1.dll
      Updating file (pbfuncappinsights1\bin\host.json).
      Updating file (pbfuncappinsights1\HttpTriggerCSharp\function.json).
      Publish Succeeded.

• Edited by Paul Batum Tuesday, June 27, 2017 5:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 5:19 PM
  • Also double check to see if you have a pending update to your Microsoft.NET.Sdk.Functions NuGet package. You should be on alpha 6. Here is what the update looks like in NuGet:

Thursday, June 29, 2017 12:55 AM