locked
Cant start a build RRS feed

  • Question

  • Something has happened to our Team Server.
    Yesterday afternoon, the server stopped allowing us to start a Team Build.
    I have tried both through the IDE and the command line.

    After a couple minutes the process times out with message:
    Failed to retrieve data from the server. Please verify the network connection and try again.

    To my knowledge, no settings were changed on the server.  We had run several builds in the morning, and then it just quit in the afternoon.  We are still able to use Source Control, so we are connecting to the server.

    Any thoughts?

    I will try to get my network guy post anything seen in the event logs.

    --MikeH
    Thursday, December 8, 2005 2:26 PM

Answers

  • Ok. Thanks for reporting it and let us know if you see similar behavior again.

    Thanks,
    Gautam
    Monday, December 12, 2005 8:56 AM

All replies

  • Are you using Beta 3? Can you check if you are able to access the following web page (try from the machine where your client is installed)?

    :/build/v1.0/buildcontroller.asmx">http://<team foundation server>:<team foundation port>/build/v1.0/buildcontroller.asmx

    Thanks,
    Amit
    Thursday, December 8, 2005 4:02 PM
  • Hey Amit.
    Yes, I can reach that page.
    I tried from both my desktop and the build machine.
    We are using B3 Refresh.
    Thursday, December 8, 2005 4:39 PM
  • I looked in the even log after my attempt to build fails.
    There is a warning that says it timed out.

    An unexpected condition has occurred in a Team Foundation component. The information contained here should be made available to your site administrative staff.

    Technical Information (for the administrative staff):

    Date (UTC): 12/8/2005 3:16:50 PM

    Machine: ISTEAM

    Application Domain: /LM/W3SVC/3/Root/Build-3-127784690760511074

    Assembly: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a; v2.0.50727

    Process Details:

    Process Name: w3wp

    Process Id: 5216

    Thread Id: 4420

    Account name: INNSYS\mikeh

    Detailed Message: TF30065: An unhandled exception occurred.

    Web Request Details

    Url: http://isteam:8080/Build/v1.0/BuildController.asmx [method: POST]

    User Agent: Team Foundation (devenv.exe, 8.0.50727.43)

    Headers: Content-Length=618&Content-Type=text%2fxml%3b+charset%3dutf-8&Accept-Encoding=gzip&Accept-Language=en-US&Expect=100-continue&Host=isteam%3a8080&User-Agent=Team+Foundation+(devenv.exe%2c+8.0.50727.43)&X-TFS-Version=1.0.0.0&SOAPAction=%22http%3a%2f%2fschemas.microsoft.com%2fTeamFoundation%2f2005%2f06%2fBuild%2fBuildController%2f02%2fStartBuild%22

    Path: /Build/v1.0/BuildController.asmx

    Local Request: False

    Host Address: xxx.xx.xx.xx

    User: INNSYS\mikeh [authentication type: NTLM]

    Exception Message: Request timed out. (type HttpException)

    Thursday, December 8, 2005 4:45 PM
  • Mike,
    some possibilities I can think of -
    1. Password of build service expired - try to restart the service, if it fails due to this, you will get a proper error message.
    2. Password of TF server service account expired?
    3. Did you upgrade either the build machine or TF server from beta3 refresh to December CTP?

    If these dont work, please enable tracing on the TF server and post the exception trace.
    You can do this by opening the web.config on the TF server, and setting value of Tracewriter to true. set the values of the switches to 1( error).
    Friday, December 9, 2005 12:16 PM
  • Hey Kishore,

    I dont know what the deal is, but this morning I came in and in an act of desperation, started a build --- and it worked.

    I am not sure why the build web service decided  to start working again (it had been timing out for the past day and a half.) 
    I am really confused.  But I am happy that it started working again.
    Thanks for you suggestions and help.

    --MikeH

    Friday, December 9, 2005 2:53 PM
  • Is there any chance that the problem could be one of the issue that Kishore has mentioned above and someone has accidentally fixed it (for example, by restarting the service)?

    It is good to see it working again.  However, we would to debug it to ensure there is no issue.  Let us know if you have more info or you face the problem again.

    Thanks,
    Gautam
    Monday, December 12, 2005 4:26 AM
  • Hey Gautam,

    We had restarted services and rebooted machines a few times during the 2 days that it wasn't working. 
    By the time I had seen the posts about passwords, it was already back up and working. 
    I asked the guy in charge of our network, and he also claims no knowledge of any settings or passwords being changed during this time period.
    Also, we are running TFS beta 3 refresh, and did not upgrade to Dec CTP.

    I wish I had more info to give.  It was a very odd problem.  The only real log that  there was even a problem is the warning about the web method timing out as noted above.

    --MikeH
    Monday, December 12, 2005 7:16 AM
  • Ok. Thanks for reporting it and let us know if you see similar behavior again.

    Thanks,
    Gautam
    Monday, December 12, 2005 8:56 AM