Cannot start setup Windows Developer Preview because of driver missing

Question

• Hi, I had a problem. I can't start setup of WDP because something missing \Windows\system32\driver\volmgrx.sys or .exe (I forgot the extension. Error code 0x0000098 (Driver corrupt or missing). I'm boot from USB (HP v210w). The OS I want to install is WDP x64 without dev.tools. Please help me!
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:03 PM

Answers

• Your download is not correct because the Sha 1 hash is incorrect. There is not getting around this issue. You don't have to compare bytes to tell you that.
    When you download put a check mark in verify this file. This will help to know the download is correct.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Friday, January 20, 2012 2:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by papin97 Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:11 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Papin Fazal,

try booting from your WDP boot media and select to Repair rather than Install your WDP installation. Hope it helps.

Irfan
    • Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:11 PM to complete
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:10 PM
  • What you mean? Repair what? I have win7 and able to run. My problem is can't enter setup installation of WDP. I'm booting from my USB, loading files, and shows WDP logo for a second and shows error about driver file missing.

I'm just checking SHA checksum and it's different

(SHA from website is 79DBF235FD49F5C1C8F8C04E24BDE6E1D04DA1E9 and in my computer is 762937c3a9d6c1737e0936e7a6e01b102f1d10a1).

Is it the reason of can't boot because of driver missing?

I'm the 15-years-old from Indonesia who wants to know anything about all of computer.
    • Edited by papin97 Monday, January 16, 2012 5:47 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Well, it could be the issue, if checksum is different. Did you download it from official website?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx

Did you use any download manager?

Try download it again and try burn into DVD and boot using DVD instead of USB, see if works or not?

Monday, January 16, 2012 12:35 PM
  • Well, it could be the issue, if checksum is different. Did you download it from official website?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx

Did you use any download manager?

Try download it again and try burn into DVD and boot using DVD instead of USB, see if works or not?

Yeah, I downloaded from that website. I'm using IDM because of my slow speed connection (10~40Kb/s). I'm not sure DVD can solve the issue. I used VMWare player and it didn't working, too, same as booting from USB, error driver.
    I'm the 15-years-old from Indonesia who wants to know anything about all of computer.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 3:08 PM
  • May be try download it again using different download manager. If you have Internet Explorer 9, try to download it using Internet Explorer Download Manager.

Also, please post back step by step method of create USB boot. It is because to be able to reproduce this issue or if there is any wrong step let you know about it.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:57 AM
  • What? I downloaded files in 7 days and my internet subscription is expired 3 days remaining.

Step. I'm using Win7 USB DVD Download tool, insert USB, select ISO, and the App formatting to NTFS and copying files. after that, I reject safely my USB, restart, and In BIOS, I selected USB boot, And loading files with progress, and show Windows Developer Preview in 1 second and, show error "/windows/system32/driver/volmgrx.sys error code 0xc0000098 (Driver missing or corrupt)" I have Win7 original pre-installed and able to run.

Please help me.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:37 PM
  • If the Sha 1 hash is different than you have missing or corrupt files in the download and your installation of Windows Developer Preview will not be successful.
    Make sure the Sha 1 hash is correct and then attempt the installation.

The download for the Windows Developer Preview 64-bit is 3.6 GB in size. 
    The Sha 1 hash is: 79DBF235FD49F5C1C8F8C04E24BDE6E1D04DA1E9

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:28 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by papin97 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:38 PM
  • If the Sha 1 hash is different than you have missing or corrupt files in the download and your installation of Windows Developer Preview will not be successful.
    Make sure the Sha 1 hash is correct and then attempt the installation.

The download for the Windows Developer Preview 64-bit is 3.6 GB in size. 
    The Sha 1 hash is: 79DBF235FD49F5C1C8F8C04E24BDE6E1D04DA1E9

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

So, I have to redownload again? Any other solution than redownload? Because internet connection is very low in Indonesia (10~40Kb/s) and in previous download it takes up to 7 days.

And I just recently check SHA-1 hash in ISO file on my computer, The hash is 762937c3a9d6c1737e0936e7a6e01b102f1d10a1.

Can you tell me the size of file in bytes? Because if size in bytes is different, I know that my file is not succesfully downloaded.

Please help me, My internet subscription is expire in 3 days

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:34 AM
  • Your download is not correct because the Sha 1 hash is incorrect. There is not getting around this issue. You don't have to compare bytes to tell you that.
    When you download put a check mark in verify this file. This will help to know the download is correct.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Friday, January 20, 2012 2:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by papin97 Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:11 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:53 PM

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Ok if I must redownload again, I will do it in IE. Where I must put a check mark in verify this file? I'm not see in IE.

Friday, January 20, 2012 1:06 AM
  • The verification would be when you burn the DVD disk. It would depend on the program you are using to burn.
    But most program do include an option to verify the burn.
    Marilyn
    Friday, January 20, 2012 1:11 AM
  • The verification would be when you burn the DVD disk. It would depend on the program you are using to burn.
    But most program do include an option to verify the burn.
    Marilyn
    If I burn to USB, can I verify the disk?

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Hi Papin Faizal,

No, I don't remember the option to verify after burning is there while copying the ISO file to a bootable USB with the help of  WINDOWS 7 USB/DVD DOWNLOAD TOOL.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Friday, January 20, 2012 2:34 PM to complete
    Friday, January 20, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Hi Papin Faizal,

No, I don't remember the option to verify after burning is there while copying the ISO file to a bootable USB with the help of  WINDOWS 7 USB/DVD DOWNLOAD TOOL.

Irfan

So I can't verify USB disk after burning to USB disk?

Please help, my internet subscription is expired in 18 hours

Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Hi Papin

If I can make a suggestion, the W8 Developer Preview you are trying to install expires in March. The beta version of W8 should be available somewhen near the end of February. It might be sensible to wait and renew your internet subscription when the W8 beta is available.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Hi Papin Faizal,

if you have downloaded an ISO whose hash value matches, you can burn it to a USB without verification using the above tool and proceed with the installation. Good luck.

Irfan
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Hi d r h,
    Ok I'll wait and renew my internet subscription, but the speed is reduced. Are you sure that W8 beta will launch in around March? My internet connection speed is very low (around 10Kb/s)

Hi Irfanfare,

If I redownload, may I pause the download? Because it takes up to 2 days non-stop?

• Edited by papin97 Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:17 AM Edit quote
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:12 AM

• If I redownload, may I pause the download? Because it takes up to 2 days non-stop?

If you do not already have one, you may download Free Download Manager , it will enable you to pause and resume your download when required. 

Irfan
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Can SHA different If I download with pause-and-resume frequently? Because in previous issue, I always use pause-and-resume until 10 times in IDM, and SHA-1 is different after download complete.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Frankly, I don't know for sure, though frequent pause & resumes should make a difference, in my opinion. Finding a faster net speed for this ISO should be safer.
    Irfan
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Frankly, I don't know for sure, though frequent pause & resumes should make a difference, in my opinion. Finding a faster net speed for this ISO should be safer.
    Irfan

Which minimum net speed is required?

Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:40 PM
  • I successfully downloaded it at an average download speed of 60 Kbps.

Irfan
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:02 PM
  • <blockquote><p>I successfully downloaded it at an average download speed of 60 Kbps.</p><hr class="sig">Irfan</blockquote><br/>
    Are you using Free Dowload Manager for this download? If yes, I'll using it for next I renew my internet subscription.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:39 PM
  • I didn't download using any download manager but I have seen guys doing it successfully through IDM.
    Irfan
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:01 PM
  • I didn't download using any download manager but I have seen guys doing it successfully through IDM.
    Irfan

Can you tell me possibly of SHA-1 different between my downloaded files and server files?

Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:13 PM
  • You may please read about SHA-1 here.

Irfan
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:48 AM
    Irfan
    Now, I'm downloading the files again, May I download the files and defragment in the same time? May it affect SHA-1 different?

Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:42 AM

• May I download the files and defragment in the same time? May it affect SHA-1 different?

I don't really know, I guess an ISO wouldn't be affected since it is a single file. Why not postpone the defrag till the download is complete?

Irfan
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Ok I'll postpone the defragment. This download is take long time until complete (around 4-5 day remaining)
    Monday, January 23, 2012 12:16 AM
  • I just downloaded and SHA-1 checksum is matched! Thanks for Irfanfare, Marilyn, and cyber_defend_team for solutions. Now, I'll boot from USB, shrink volume, and install it. Wish me luck!

Help! I got stuck in select disk. I select unallocated disk 64,10GB and show "Maximum partition disk" or something like that. Why?

• Edited by papin97 Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:29 PM To ask again
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:54 AM
  • While I am glad to see that you've successfully finished downloading the setup image, I'll ask just in case you'll need to download something big in the future. I believe MSFT servers support RETR (or whatever is used in HTTP to resume downloading). Couldn't you use something like WGET http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/wget-resume-broken-download.html (there is a Win32 version) or any other software to resume broken download?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:30 AM
  • While I am glad to see that you've successfully finished downloading the setup image, I'll ask just in case you'll need to download something big in the future. I believe MSFT servers support RETR (or whatever is used in HTTP to resume downloading). Couldn't you use something like WGET http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/wget-resume-broken-download.html (there is a Win32 version) or any other software to resume broken download?

What do you mean? Do you want to Download Manager app that support resume download? I downloaded this file using pause-and-resume until 8 times.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:34 PM
  • Ah, I see now. Nevermind. I meant that you could use a download manager to avoid the need to re-download an incorrectly downloaded ISO file from scratch (that is, re-download missing chunks only, using torrent protocol terminology).

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Ah, I see now. Nevermind. I meant that you could use a download manager to avoid the need to re-download an incorrectly downloaded ISO file from scratch (that is, re-download missing chunks only, using torrent protocol terminology).

Torrent? I Hate Torrent! Torrent is very slow (5-10Kb/s) in Indonesia. And Torrent is very confusing.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:34 PM
  • HELP!! I got stuck in select disk. I select unallocated disk 64,10GB and show "Maximum partition disk" or something like that. Why?
    Friday, January 27, 2012 11:21 PM
  • HELP!! I got stuck in select disk. I select unallocated disk 64,10GB and show "Maximum partition disk" or something like that. Why?

You may download Easeus Partition Master Home Edn, make a 20 GB partition for your 64 Bit install, 16  GB for the 32 Bit, direct the WDP installation to the newly created partition and proceed with it. 
    Irfan
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Yes, I downloaded and convert 64,10GB as unallocated space before posting that. If I select the unallocated space, show notification "This disk has maximum partition". How?
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Yes, I downloaded and convert 64,10GB as unallocated space before posting that. If I select the unallocated space, show notification "This disk has maximum partition". How?
    You may Extend one of the adjacent drives through Disk Management, by right clicking the Computer and clicking on Manage. Right click the drive adjacent to the unallocated space and select Extend and extend it till you have no unallocated space left. Now, install WDP on one of the available drives which is empty or which you may not mind being formatted. You appear to have reached the maximum number of drives permitted by your system. You may also read about Disk Partitioning here

Irfan
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:59 AM