none
How to build a wifi localisation wpf app map RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have a Customer request who would like us to build an indoor Customer localisation system and represent it on a map.

The idea is that I will have the map of the shopping center and need to represent on it the visitors trafic on it.
    The shoping center will have different wifi host spot and based on where the visitor is located with those wifi spot, I need to represent on the shoping center map the trafic.

Does some of you have experience on indoor localisation using Wifi and how does this work ?

Is it my app who should track all data from wifi hot spot and detected closest person ?

Thnaks for sharing path to go, idea or links on how should I approach my scenario to be able to build the app

regards

serge

Sunday, March 22, 2015 3:59 PM

Answers

• It depends on your requirement.

I'm not clear how this has anything to do with wpf.

The likes of windows phones have this sort of stuff kind of built in. It's not terribly accurate though.

The user would install an app your customer persuades them to use.

Or carry a device they provide.

You would know who was which.

That second link works without anything installed but you only know there is a smartphone wherever, not whose it is. 

These are very different approaches.

I have zero experience of either from the development perspective.

I use an app called locale on my android smartphone.  This does stuff based on location.  The accuracy isn't particularly great so  they provide a way to improve it by telling it where a particular wi fi emitter is compared to where you are.

So they must have some way of doing this sort of thing on my phone.

Hope that helps.
    Recent Technet articles: Property List Editing; Dynamic XAML

• Marked as answer by wakefun Monday, March 23, 2015 8:46 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2015 8:29 AM

All replies

• There are a few hits on codeproject such as

http://www.codeproject.com/Questions/416500/indoor-localization-using-wireless-signal-strenght

But also

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/520811/stores-sniff-out-smartphones-to-follow-shoppers/

Hope that helps.

Sunday, March 22, 2015 6:32 PM
  • Thnaks for your info will check it.

I was Thinking that the tracking data signal should be done by a kind of hardware architecture because there are huge data coming from Wifi signal, and then the mobile app will receive a kind of notification from a braodcast message

but not sure at all, what is your feeling ?

Monday, March 23, 2015 7:53 AM
  • It depends on your requirement.

I'm not clear how this has anything to do with wpf.

The likes of windows phones have this sort of stuff kind of built in. It's not terribly accurate though.

The user would install an app your customer persuades them to use.

Or carry a device they provide.

You would know who was which.

That second link works without anything installed but you only know there is a smartphone wherever, not whose it is. 

These are very different approaches.

I have zero experience of either from the development perspective.

I use an app called locale on my android smartphone.  This does stuff based on location.  The accuracy isn't particularly great so  they provide a way to improve it by telling it where a particular wi fi emitter is compared to where you are.

So they must have some way of doing this sort of thing on my phone.

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by wakefun Monday, March 23, 2015 8:46 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2015 8:29 AM