none
USB 3.0 Controller compatibility problem Kinect v2 RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Kinect for windows and just run Kinect v2 Configuration Verifier.

And I get  some Issue:

-USB Controller

says that: "Result: Supported USB 3.0 port detected with unknown bandwidth. Kinect may or may not be compatible with your hardware."

-Verify Kinect Depth and Color Streams

says that: "Detects depth and color stream latency ---- Result: Waiting for frames from Kinect"

The last problem i think that is a consequence of the first problem (usb control), but i am not sure.

If I use kinect studio, I have a grey monitor live, and i don't see nothing, I can't register anything.

I have install and update all driver.

This is my pc configuration:

Motherboard: Asrock Z87E-ITX      CPU: Intel i5 4440 3.1Ghz       RAM: 8Gb DDR3

VideoCard: msi amd radeon R7 250

Thank you in advance for your advice and opinion on a possible solution of my problem! :)

With this usb problem i can't work.

Need Help

• Edited by Skipper11 Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:11 AM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:06 AM

Answers

• When you are getting this error, that is an indication that the USB3 chipset is not connected to the PCIx Gen 2.0 bus of the motherboard or the bandwidth is shared with other devices/communication on with other components. PCIx Gen 2.0 is required to support the 5.0GB/s bus speed in-which Kinect v2 will use ~50% of that by itself.

If the tool does detect this and you are able to get any of the samples to work, then you will need to get a PCIx Gen 2.0 capable USB3 card with Intel/Renesas chipset. See other threads for suggestions others have tried.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

I am experiencing the same type of problem. Kinect configuration Verifier says that Supported USB 3.0 port detected with unknown bandwidth. Kinect may or may not be compatible with your hardware.

However I get streaming through all demos in Kinect Browser. It is a bit worse in Kinect studio.

Motherboard: ASUS Z87A with USB 3.0 produced by Intel (at least specs are saying that). So I would really like to investigate what is wrong!

Friday, September 26, 2014 12:12 PM
  • When you are getting this error, that is an indication that the USB3 chipset is not connected to the PCIx Gen 2.0 bus of the motherboard or the bandwidth is shared with other devices/communication on with other components. PCIx Gen 2.0 is required to support the 5.0GB/s bus speed in-which Kinect v2 will use ~50% of that by itself.

If the tool does detect this and you are able to get any of the samples to work, then you will need to get a PCIx Gen 2.0 capable USB3 card with Intel/Renesas chipset. See other threads for suggestions others have tried.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:10 PM
  • I installed Kinect for windows and just run Kinect v2 Configuration Verifier.

And I get  some Issue:

-USB Controller

says that: "Result: Supported USB 3.0 port detected with unknown bandwidth. Kinect may or may not be compatible with your hardware."

-Verify Kinect Depth and Color Streams

says that: "Detects depth and color stream latency ---- Result: Waiting for frames from Kinect"

The last problem i think that is a consequence of the first problem (usb control), but i am not sure.

If I use kinect studio, I have a grey monitor live, and i don't see nothing, I can't register anything.

Hi, I have just the same issue with my pc so I think I should add my question into this thread with my pc configuration:

Motherboard: Gigabyte ultra durable GA-H81M-D2V      CPU: Intel i5 4440 3.1Ghz       RAM: 4Gb DDR3

VideoCard: intel HD4600

I have windows 8.1, the kinect is connected to an USB3 and the BIOS is configured to use the GEN2 PCIx. I also checked that all drivers are updated but none of this has solved the problem and I don't know if there's something I haven't done yet or the only solution is, as I've seen in other questions, to buy a compatible PCI-e card.

I would be really gratefull If someone could give me a possible answer.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 10:18 AM
  • You BIOS may be configured to use PCIx Gen 2.0, but which PCIx slots are Gen 2.0 enabled? There are some boards that only reserve Gen 2.0 for the PCIx 16 typically for GPU(s) only. Additionally you need to ensure the PCIx card you by is Gen 2.0 enabled.

Have you tried using the x16 slot to see if that changes the behavior?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, October 9, 2014 8:00 PM
  • You were right about the Gen 2.0 being disabled.

I bought a new Transcend TS-PDU3 IPCe card and connected it to the x16 slot, then in the BIOS menu I changed an option to enable the Gen2 slots.

Now it's working perfectly fine.

I still get the USB unknown bandwidth message in the kinect configuration verifier though, but it's the only warning that appears so I don't really think it's an important issue.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:20 AM
  • If things are working, you can ignore the warning.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:02 PM
  • If things are working, you can ignore the warning.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Right! This is always the best solution :)
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:43 AM
  • So (first time on the threads) I have been having similar issues. I have resorted for the past few months of just working on the Kinect V2 on my friend's new laptop which has a weaker processor, less ram, and a weaker graphics card. However his is a 2013 and mine is from 2011. I am running a Dell XPS 11 with 2.7Ghz, 4GB of Ram, and a GTX 550m. His has integrated graphics with 1.7Ghz and 4GB of Ram.

My error is in the last stage (no other issues presented) and it states that it detects latency in the color and depth streams. I have tried using Kinect Evolution and it provides me with no sensor connected error. The light on the Kinect did not turn on or flash. Is this related to the 3.0 slot being on the wrong PCI gen?

I am trying to buy a new computer for the application of remotely using the sensor and want to make sure it has the right requirements for the sensor.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:33 AM
  • I think that the your problem is reletedto the requirements of the video card or the USB 3.0 chipset ( not supported).

Try to checks the compatibility of the chipset usb, or download the most recent drivers.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:22 PM
  • It passes the configuration part about the USB 3.0. Is there another way to check the chipset or where it is located without opening up my laptop? I looked in the control panel and under USB controllers i have

2 Generic USB Hub

2 Intel(R) 6 series/C200 Series chipset family USB enhanced Controller 1C26 and 1C2D

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host controller and Root hub

2x USB root hub

USB Composite Device

Friday, November 28, 2014 8:32 PM
  • I have the same problem. The compatibility tester reports a problem with USB Controller. "Result: Supported USB 3.0 port detected with unknown bandwidth..."

It's working fine when plugged in to a Surface, but not when I connect to an Intel NUC unit. We've updated drivers and BIOS, but nothing helps. When I read the advice about the PCIx Gen 2.0 bus of the motherboard,  I don't really understand much.

What if we develop a Kinect App for this hardware, and real end users try to use it. Is this the kind of experience they're going to get? The NUC is an almost brand new PC, with four USB 3.0 ports. How could we explain to an end user that the app's not going to work because "PCIx Gen 2.0 is required to support the 5.0GB/s bus speed"?

Carmine, is this something that MS is going to be able to fix more elegantly, or are we really looking at a technology that's not ready for general deployment yet?

Duncan.

Monday, December 1, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Kinect v2 is the first USB3 device that uses the full bandwidth capabilities of USB3 and as such, are on the leading edge of that technology. Unfortunately, this is identifying systems that quite don't meet the spec.

For Kinect v2 development, having hardware in "known" deployments is covered through your own deployment testing. In the case of consumer/end users, customers can download and run the Kinect Configuration Verifier tool and test their systems. http://aka.ms/kinectverifier

In the scenario with NUC, this does work. You may need to tweak BIOS settings to ensure you have disabled the power settings. I have identified most of the "sensor restart" issues where the sensor is connected and ready to go, but it just restarts all the time due to latency, see last post: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, December 1, 2014 9:05 PM
  • Hi Carmine,

Thanks for your reply. We've tried a variety of things, in the Windows Device Manager and in the BIOS, and it's just not working for us on the NUC. We seem to be in the same position as Pedro and Jing on the other thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/c44cfd10-8df5-476f-aa0f-093672e0ccd1/kinect-not-working-on-and-off-on-a-nuc-d54250wyk-please-advise?forum=kinectv2sdk

Should we just wait and see if there is any update that can fix the problem, or should we just consider the NUC unit to be incompatible?

Duncan.

Monday, December 8, 2014 11:54 AM
  • If you can't get it to work, then you will need to look at alternate hardware configurations.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, December 8, 2014 9:18 PM
  • Hi
    I’m hoping that someone here could answer my question. I’ve pretty much got the same problem.  My Kinect Configuration Verifier is X on for the USB Controller.

I understand the native ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller isn't supported and am using the same 'Transcend PDU3 USB 3.0 card', which worked for GiroMa (posted above). This card is seated in a PCIe 2.0 x16 and SATA powered. My Kinect for Windows v2 is connected to this card, which is listed as ‘Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub’

The Chip set for my motherboard is Intel® Z68, where I'm running an i7. I’ve updated the BIOS and running Win 8.1

GiroMa seemed to be able to get USB detection using the same ‘Transcend PDU3 USB 3.0 hub’ as I have. I don’t however have PCIx Gen 2.0 enabling in the BIOS choices though. I only have the 1 PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, so I hope it should default to this?

I’ve been reading these postings for the same issue last 5 days trying to understand if its my motherboard as I've been doing everything that has been suggested ... or is their something else? Connecting a Kinect v2 to Windows 8.1 appears to be a black art.

Thanks for any help here you can offer.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 4:34 PM
  • The tool might be reporting on your ASMedia card, when you run the samples do they work when connected to the PCIx Gen 2.0 card?

It isn't a black art, just a hardware configuration issue where data throughput is key. If we cannot get the data from the hardware fast enough, the runtime will fail to work.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 5:40 PM
  • Thanks for replying.

Yes the Kinect appears to be reporting to the 'ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller -0096'. When I disable this in the Device Manager in control Panel, the 'PC and devices - Devices' window shows 'Kinect as Setup incomplete. Connect to Internet.' And when I 'Enable' it in Device Manager the 'Devices' window shows the Kinect to be connected without an error.
    How do I get the Kinect to report to ‘Renesas Electronics USB3.0 Root Hub’ ?

If you mean tried 'samples' from the 'SDK Browser (Kinect for Windows) v2.0, like 'Body Basic D2D', then I haven't been able to get this to work.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:13 PM
  • Disconnect the sensor, and disable the ASMedia. Restart the KinectMonitor service. then connect the sensor to the PCI Express 2.0 USB card. Are you sure your motherboard supports Gen 2.0? Can you try a different machine?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:19 PM
  • Hi Carmine,

I just received the Kinect v2 and the BodyBasics-D2D demo works fine the first time I compile and run it (the skeleton appears, 30fps), but if I close the program and try to re-run it I just get a black screen (no skeleton) - but the fps still shows 30 and I also know that the joints are still being tracked correctly (I modified the demo c++ code to display various joint positions as text).  

To get it working again, I have to unplug the Kinect from my USB 3.0 and then re-connect it.

Do you have any idea how I can fix this issue to avoid having to unplug the sensor from the USB 3.0 port?

System Specs:

Alienware14 Laptop (1 year old)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX765M

Kinect v2 plugged into USB 3.0 (the port also has a lightning symbol)

PS: I also get "Supported USB 3.0 port detected with unknown bandwidth. Kinect may or may not be compatible with your hardware." when I run the Kinect v2 Configuration Verifier.  Everything else passes.

PPS: I have absolutely no problems with the IR, depth or color demos, and no problems with the 3D builder and Kinect Studio software.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Friday, May 1, 2015 2:46 AM
  • Hi Carmine,

I just received the Kinect v2 and the BodyBasics-D2D demo works fine the first time I compile and run it (the skeleton appears, 30fps), but if I close the program and try to re-run it I just get a black screen (no skeleton) - but the fps still shows 30 and I also know that the joints are still being tracked correctly (I modified the demo c++ code to display various joint positions as text).  

To get it working again, I have to unplug the Kinect from my USB 3.0 and then re-connect it.

Do you have any idea how I can fix this issue to avoid having to unplug the sensor from the USB 3.0 port?

System Specs:

Alienware14 Laptop (1 year old)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX765M

Kinect v2 plugged into USB 3.0 (the port also has a lightning symbol)

PS: I also get "Supported USB 3.0 port detected with unknown bandwidth. Kinect may or may not be compatible with your hardware." when I run the Kinect v2 Configuration Verifier.  Everything else passes.

PPS: I have absolutely no problems with the IR, depth or color demos, and no problems with the 3D builder and Kinect Studio software.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

It has been three months,have you solved this problem yet? I met the same problem. Thank you for any offer from you.
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 7:38 AM
  • Running only once, eh? Is it the same problem that I have:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/98575664-bbe7-4013-bad2-0e7d45d96695/kinect-v2-stays-active-only-once-on-a-usb-31-card?forum=kinectv2sdk

I haven't tried 3D builder and Kinect Studio though. Edit: Tried them, same issue once Kinect stops monitoring the first time.

The only other alternative to unplugging is to disable and the re-enable the driver of the USB device.

• Edited by Yanis Lukes Sunday, August 16, 2015 11:07 AM tried 3D builder, kinect studio
    Friday, August 14, 2015 8:41 AM
  • I finally made it work after a lot of time,

I lost a lot of time due to not really understanding what it meant with Pcie Express generation 2.

Pcie Express 1.0 1x on old motherboard did NOT work.
    Pcie Express 1.0 16x on old motherboard did NOT work.
    Pcie Express 2.0 1x on a slightly more modern  motherboard WORKED. 

USB controller chip from NEC or Renesas Technology Corp., chip model P720200, only with the Microsoft driver, not with the renesas driver.

Some clarifications that helped me realize my mistake:

A single PCI-e 2.0 link has a "net" bandwidth of 500MBps (5GT * 8b / 10b = 4Gbps = 500MBps). It has the same theoretical speed as USB 3.0

What some posts are mistakenly calling "gen 2" is an (obvious) need to put that USB controller card into a PCI-e 2.0 (or 3.0) slot. E.g. LGA 1156 chipsets from Intel did run "peripheral" PCI-e links at PCI-e 1.0 speed (2.5GT) - this was the source of the "common" misconception that you need to put USB controller card into a x16 slot - because that slot on that particular motherboard series runs at full speed - x16 slots for graphic cards are directly connected to the CPU and running at full speed (Intel 115x boards = since Lynnfield).

Please check your motherboard manual, it must EXPLICITLY say Pcie Express 2.0 1X or 16X.
    Newer motherboard's manual stated:
    1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 *1
    2 x PCIe 2.0 x1

I am running Renesas USB 3.0 controller card in on my AMD machine in a PCI-e 2.0 x1 slot without any issue with Kinect frame rate.

Source:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dbb2e414-29f5-414a-ab48-d55848f35103/kinect-v2-usb31-or-30-spec-pcie-card?forum=kinectv2sdk

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 4:08 AM