DDEX for Compact Framework RRS feed

• Question

• This is something I can't find any documentation for ...

I know this can be done, since SqlServerCe does it... Its designer uses SqlServerCe.Client, but when you do databinding and so forth it actually adds a reference to SqlServerCe to your project instead.

Does this happen through the FactoryService for the SqlServerCe designer, or somewhere else deeper into the implementation?  I basically need to let the user design away with the full framework version of the library, but the reference added to the project needs to be to the compact framework version just like how SqlServerCe's designer  does it.

Robert

Monday, January 30, 2006 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Robert,

To get a different runtime assembly added for your provider, you need to add a registry key.

Under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NetCompactFramework\v2.0.XXXX\{Platform}\DataProvider\{ProviderGuid}

Where {Platform} is the device platform - PocketPC, Smartphone or WindowsCE

Where {ProviderGuid} is the guid used to register the data provider under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\DataProviders reg hive

In this new key entry, set the InvariantName and RuntimeAssembly keys to define which reference should be added to your project. This reference name should appear in the Add References dialog to ensure the tools can find the reference automatically.

Please let me know if that unblocks you.

Carlton

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:04 PM

All replies

• This forum is for questions about programming Visual Studio using either the automation extensibility model or the VSIP SDK. I tried to move this question, but could not tell which SQL topic it belonged under. Can you explain more what product you are trying to use so we could move this?

Craig

Monday, January 30, 2006 9:59 PM
  • It belongs here.  It is a question about the Data Designer Extensibility (DDEX) features in the VSIP SDK.

Specifically, how to implement a Data Designer for a Compact Framework project -- how to allow the user to design on the desktop while still allowing the Smart Device project to reference the less-functional Compact Framework ADO.NET provider.

It's definitely a VSIP question :)

Monday, January 30, 2006 10:18 PM
  • OK, then I better let somebody who actually knows how to use SQL answer this one...

Craig

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:51 AM
  • It really has nothing to do with SQL, it's really not even a SQL question.  It's really just a Data Designer question.  An expert in DDEX will do nicely :)

Robert

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:26 AM
  • I've gotten a little farther, but not far enough.  It looks like some of the guts to doing this are in Microsoft.VSDesigner.DLL.  It also looks like the only place this library exists is in the GAC -- which means I can't add a reference to the library to my project, and it appears to be MS's intent that we not use it ...

Robert

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:09 PM
  • Hi Robert,

To get a different runtime assembly added for your provider, you need to add a registry key.

Under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NetCompactFramework\v2.0.XXXX\{Platform}\DataProvider\{ProviderGuid}

Where {Platform} is the device platform - PocketPC, Smartphone or WindowsCE

Where {ProviderGuid} is the guid used to register the data provider under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\DataProviders reg hive

In this new key entry, set the InvariantName and RuntimeAssembly keys to define which reference should be added to your project. This reference name should appear in the Add References dialog to ensure the tools can find the reference automatically.

Please let me know if that unblocks you.

Carlton

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:04 PM
  • hi Carlton,

Is this {ProviderGuid} a completely new guid or does it have some existing relationship with the provider somewhere else.

I have created a sample provider and I am trying to enable DDEX functionality in it. I made the entries in the registry as specfied in the msdn document, but the VS is giving exception("Object reference not set to the instance of the object") when I try to create a new data connection. For registring, I generated a new guid and used it in the registry.

regards,

Amit

Friday, December 15, 2006 6:35 AM