none
Need suggestion : Which storage/database to use? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We had a requirement to store some files for public access. So we used Azure storage container ( blob) to store files and have given permission as "public for blob containers". Storage is located to some location. This way we were able to get/download a file publicly.

Now we want to scale to next level where we want to store the same file to multiple regions in the world and make it available using unique identifier. 

Here are the objectives:

- User can access the file from closest region storage

- Reduce network time

- Load balancer 

Kindly suggest storage/database for just storing/accessing files publicly in multiple regions. CosmosDB and other options seems to be overkill for the this case.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:38 PM

All replies

• You can setup an Azure CDN endpoint and point to the origin of your blob storage.  By this way it gets cached to CDN POP server local to region, May I know where you are downloading the blob?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:10 PM
  • @Babel3D, The best suggestion i'd suggest is the use of Traffic Manager, it touches on all the objectives you mentioned:

Closest region storage/network time: The 'closest' endpoint is not necessarily closest as measured by geographic distance. Instead, the 'Performance' traffic-routing method determines the closest endpoint by measuring network latency. Traffic Manager maintains an Internet Latency Table to track the round-trip time between IP address ranges and each Azure datacenter.

Load Balancer: Weighted traffic-routing method:

The 'Weighted' traffic-routing method allows you to distribute traffic evenly or to use a pre-defined weighting.

More details: 

• Priority: Select Priority when you want to use a primary service endpoint for all traffic, and provide backups in case the primary or the backup endpoints are unavailable.
    • Weighted: Select Weighted when you want to distribute traffic across a set of endpoints, either evenly or according to weights, which you define.
    • Performance: Select Performance when you have endpoints in different geographic locations and you want end users to use the "closest" endpoint in terms of the lowest network latency.
    • Geographic: Select Geographic so that users are directed to specific endpoints (Azure, External, or Nested) based on which geographic location their DNS query originates from. This empowers Traffic Manager customers to enable scenarios where knowing a user’s geographic region and routing them based on that is important. Examples include complying with data sovereignty mandates, localization of content & user experience and measuring traffic from different regions.

more details are here:
      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/traffic-manager/traffic-manager-routing-methods

Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:25 AM
  • @Adam, Thank you for the answer. Can we use Traffic Manager and Blob Storage together? We want global performance for our assets in blob storage for our users.

We have multi-platform applications and we'd like to provide them with static files (like images, installers etc) from blob storage using Traffic Manager as we'd like to replicate these to at least 5-6 Azure Data Centers around the world.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 4:44 AM
  • Yes, Azure CDN configuration for the blob storage is the best solution. You can check here for more details. 

http://whyazure.in/azure-cdn-implementation-for-large-file-distribution/

Thursday, December 21, 2017 9:16 AM
  • You can use the Azure CDN for the file distribution.

For more details please read the below article from MSFT - 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/architecture/best-practices/cdn

Please Mark as Answer if my post works for you or Vote as Helpful if it helps you. Kapil Singh

• Proposed as answer by Kapil.Kumawat Sunday, December 24, 2017 6:09 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:37 AM
  • Thank you all.

CDN seems to work for me. I've setup Azure CDN for my storage and now able to access my files using CDN.

One final question, How do I ensure that my download is happening from nearest cached data center? How do I measure performance with respect to blob download in terms to Time to First byte or download time?

Friday, December 22, 2017 7:01 AM