Database designer not working... RRS feed

• Question

• hi guys,

i have some serious problem working with sql2005. Of course, i am a newbie. The problem is that while using management studio with sql2005 std. I cannot access the database designer or the table designer tools. The options are grayed out! It know leaves no option but to write tedious queries. Its time consuming.

can anyone help with this!??!
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:45 PM

Answers

• Well, many of us do prefer using tedious queries (providing reuse of said queries :) but I agree this might need to be moved.  What security are you accessing the server/database with?  Is it possible you don't have right to?  Just a thought
    Louis

Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:56 AM

All replies

• The SQL Server Tools General group deals with SQL Server's tools. Perhaps someone there could answer your question.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Well, many of us do prefer using tedious queries (providing reuse of said queries :) but I agree this might need to be moved.  What security are you accessing the server/database with?  Is it possible you don't have right to?  Just a thought
    Louis

Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Of course, no doubt queries are good. But i would prefer a tool over the queries especially for creating relationships and triggers. If that's possible it would be great. I dont know if  any changes need to be made in surface area config or anything. But i installed the SSMS with admin rights and am using the same instance i installed them with. 
    I think i would try a reinstall and recheck the install process for any possible changes but i doubt how much it would help.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:51 PM