none
Ready to deploy my first app - need help! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've just finished my first ppc app, under VS 2005 SP1, CF 2.0 SP2 and SQL CE 3.1

The app uses two .sdf files plus two resource files to store/access some images.

I've read a lot of papers on how to deploy an app, but to be honest, I'm a little more confused that when I started...

I really don't know if VS 2005 will take care of all the details and necessary files ( SQL CE, resources, SDFs ) when creating the deployment project ( including the app icon ) or do I need to follow specific instructions to do that ?

My final goal is to make an MSI in order to install the app to the device from the PC

Any help, if detailed in VB much better, is greatly appreciated in advance!

Saturday, December 15, 2007 11:09 PM

Answers

• No, VS 2005 is not going to take care if that, you would need to do that. See this on how to do that. Basically that would package your application and all it needs (e.g. SDF files) onto CAB file and then MSI would install this CAB on to device via Active Sync. Code in the articles is in C#, use one of these free online translators to convert it to VB of needed.

You would also need to deploy NETCF and SQL CE. That is done using very same approach as described in the article by repeating deployment 3 times (NETCF, SQL CE, your application). See this and that for more info.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 11:44 PM

All replies

• No, VS 2005 is not going to take care if that, you would need to do that. See this on how to do that. Basically that would package your application and all it needs (e.g. SDF files) onto CAB file and then MSI would install this CAB on to device via Active Sync. Code in the articles is in C#, use one of these free online translators to convert it to VB of needed.

You would also need to deploy NETCF and SQL CE. That is done using very same approach as described in the article by repeating deployment 3 times (NETCF, SQL CE, your application). See this and that for more info.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 11:44 PM
  • Ilya, as always you have been of great help.

Thanks! I'll take a closer look at the articles you pointed. Hope to understand them correctly!

Saturday, December 15, 2007 11:50 PM