Using Label for Build RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

I am going to use Database projects in Visual Studio and source controlled by using VSS. I need to know the last released set so that i can use Label for this. But i have a confusion based on my scneario.

After finished the development i move the patch to staging server and moved to testing . Development, Staging and Testing are different servers. When i put as release because when i move patchg to staging i can label that. But after that developers working other requirements. If any testing failed again new patch went to staging and testing. So how i label for a particluar release with out affecting new development activities.

Can anyone guid me for the best practice of this scenario?

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For your case, you need to use the Branch feature. You are in the parallel development scenario. Label is not enough. For each release that could be development along with other versions, you need to branch that out.

Hope it helps.

Kevin Gao

MCSD, MCDBA, MBA

Friday, November 9, 2012 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For your case, you need to use the Branch feature. You are in the parallel development scenario. Label is not enough. For each release that could be development along with other versions, you need to branch that out.

Hope it helps.

Kevin Gao

MCSD, MCDBA, MBA

Friday, November 9, 2012 8:27 AM
  • thanks kevin. yea this looks good. This branching and label apply for development database only, not for staing and testing.am i right as they r not need to maintain versions
    Friday, November 9, 2012 8:50 AM
  • The branch can work in one database, if you want to build the different version for several databasess, I think you could copy and manage the file manually cross the DB.

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:17 AM