Cannot launch any programs on Developer Preview Tablet

Question

• I'm using one of the developer preview tablets distributed at BUILD.   The OS locked up and I had to do a hard reset. A disk check was run at startup.  When the machine came back up .exe files had lost their file associations!  I can't run anything because it just asks me what program I want to use to run the .exe.  So, I can't run the machine restore because that launches an .exe,  I can't run registry editor, I can't even WindowsKey + E to open an explorer window.  Any suggestions? 

How would I go about booting the Samsung tablet from USB to re-install?

This image shows what happens when I press Ctrl + Alt + Del and select Task Manager.  After a pause, it shows the old-school task manager with Immersive Background and Desktop running.... kind of funny.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:53 AM

Answers

• Marilyn,

As I mentioned above, after I pressed F8, I got a black screen with a blinking cursor.  Safe mode would not load.  After that, I was not able to boot as the system kept trying to enter Safe Mode and then failed.  My only option was to re-install.  I wasn't able to boot from USB.  I had a friend connect it to his PXE boot server and that's the only way I was able to get it re-installed.  It's all good now, but there are some problems with safe mode.  Entering safe mode is what totally hosed the tablet.  After I tried that I couldn't boot at all anymore.  I'm not sure what caused the problems in the first place, unfortunately.  I can't tell you how to reproduce it or even what the problem was.

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:45 PM

All replies

• To boot from USB on the tablet given to you at //BUILD, Press the Volume Up button immediately after pressing the power button to turn on the device.

Windows Developer Preview includes several new options for recovering your system from errors or problems, one of which is the Push Button Reset. Push Button Reset is exposed to the user as two different options.

* Refresh your PC without affecting your files

* Reset your PC and start over

For //BUILD, the Samsung Windows Developer Preview PC has this recovery partition pre-configured.

Reset your PC and start over - This option will permanently remove your personal files and apps for you PC and restore all settings to their defaults. Based on your description, it appears we need to completely Reset your PC. If you can get to your metro UI, try these steps.

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Reset your PC and start over”

4. Click the Next button at the “Reset your PC and start over” step of the wizard.

· This first step of the wizard is shown in a green strip that covers the middle portion of the screen.

· The description text at this step shows the following:

“Here’s what will happen:

· Your personal files and apps will be removed.

· Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults. “

5. (Optional) Insert the USB key or DVD with the Windows installation files if prompted.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

“Insert your Windows installation or recovery media.”

· Some files are missing. The media will provide these files.

· As soon as you insert the media, the wizard automatically moves to the next step.

6. Click the Reset button at the “Ready to reset your PC” step.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

“This will permanently remove your personal files and apps from your PC and restore all settings to their defaults. Your PC will restart. This will take a few minutes.”

At this point, the PC will restart and the Push Button Reset process will take over. Once completed, your PC will reboot and start the Windows Welcome process, allowing you to setup your computer as if it were new again.

After  you have completed these steps, are you still experiencing the same issues?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:17 AM
    Answerer
  • I tried the Push Button Reset right away. Unfortunately it just asks me if I want to open it with WordPad. (see below)  If you could improve this so that such corruption would not affect the reset tool that would be very cool. By specifying to open a desktop shortcut using cmd I was able to then run powershell. Is there a way to invoke the Push Button Reset from powershell?   Otherwise, I'll just re-install from USB.  Thanks!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Are the errors fixed when you re-install from USB?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Seems like the EXE association might have been broke. I don't have access to my Windows 8 VM. If someone could upload the reg file from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe it should work. 

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Okay, trying to re-install from USB.  I was trying the USB drive that they passed out at BUILD.  That boots on another computer I have but it won't boot on the Samsung.  It doesn't even show the Boot from USB menu entry in the BIOS.   I tried a few other bootable USB sticks that I have and they DO show the "Boot from USB" menu entry, but then I just see a message that says "No bootable image found."   

I just downloaded the full Windows 8 ISO and used the Windows 7 bootable USB creator to create a USB drive that has the full Windows 8 install.  Sadly, the Samsung BIOS doesn't recognize this either. 

Do you happen to have any information as to what settings or devices are required in order to successfully boot and install from USB?

Maybe I'll just use this thing as a really expensive clay pigeon.

• Edited by zedubal Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:43 PM update
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Oh I should also mention that I attached a usb keyboard and tried to hit F8 to get into safe mode.  I guess, that doesn't work either when your exe file associations have been corrupted because it just hung at a blinking cursor.  When I reset, it looks like it is now attempting to boot safe mode every time.  In other words, this thing is a brick now. LOL
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:05 PM
  • From the support engineer who responded to my case:  "The Samsung Windows Developer Preview PCs do not support booting from USB flash drives larger than 4GB.  The drive must also be FAT32 format."

FYI...

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Hello zedubal,

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues with your Windows Developer Preview.
    Please let us know what you have tried and if you still need assistance.

You should have been able to do a system restore or a Repair of your system.
    Go to Start page. Type in System Restore.
    Click on Settings on the right side.
    On the left side of the page, it has entries for the different options.
    Click on Restore system files and settings from a Restore point.
    Click Next.
    Click on the file for the Date and Time to before you had the issue with .exe files.
    The next page confirms the restore point.
    Click on Finish button.
    Your system will be restored to the time and date before you were experiencing the issue.

Try following these steps to perform an automatic repair.

·         Restart your computer

·         Repeatedly tap F8 on your keyboard

·         When the "Choose an option" screen appears, click Troubleshoot

·         ClickAdvanced options

·         ClickAutomatic repair

·         Select an administrator account

·         Enter the password for that account

·         Once it has finished and restarted, click Continue to load Windows Developer Preview. Then restart your computer

Please reply back with a status on your issue.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Marilyn,

As I mentioned above, after I pressed F8, I got a black screen with a blinking cursor.  Safe mode would not load.  After that, I was not able to boot as the system kept trying to enter Safe Mode and then failed.  My only option was to re-install.  I wasn't able to boot from USB.  I had a friend connect it to his PXE boot server and that's the only way I was able to get it re-installed.  It's all good now, but there are some problems with safe mode.  Entering safe mode is what totally hosed the tablet.  After I tried that I couldn't boot at all anymore.  I'm not sure what caused the problems in the first place, unfortunately.  I can't tell you how to reproduce it or even what the problem was.

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Hello zedubal,

Glad you were able to reinstall the operating system and get it up and running. 

Let us know if you have any other issues.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:00 AM
  • Hi Zebudal

How did you get it to PXE boot? We're trying to do the same -- have connected a USB-RJ45 connector to the network but can't see any PXE Boot options in the BIOS.

Thanks

Rick

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:28 PM