none
vb display outlook add in RRS feed

• Question

• hello , sorry if am posting this questions in a wrong session of posts.

i have create a simple applcation which in a datagridview  , is displaying some names with them emails and the phones of that names,

with a button am loop inside the grid and am selecting from the email column the emails and display the outlook new email to ready for send.

Now, i have download also from microsoft the add in for Sms Text (MOSA) and i would like with the same procedure of loopin inside the grid for email to do that for phones and simply display the new sms form with the phones i have loop from grid,
    several days am trying to find a way of how to open (display that item by VB net and i can't) like i do for new email.

i have try several ways like below but am getting the error Public member 'display' on type 'String' not found. Please any help full advice i will be appreciate.

Dim item As Outlook.Application = New Outlook.Application
    MsgBox(item.Application.COMAddIns.Item(7).ProgId) ' my object addin name is OctSms.connect
    Dim Myobject As New Object

Myobject = item.Application.COMAddIns.Item(7).ProgId  

Myobject.display()

stelios ----------

Friday, April 1, 2011 7:54 AM

Answers

• You cannot display an addin. What you are asking is a meaningless question.

If the addin doesn't expose any public methods that you can call it's a self-contained object over which you have no control.

If the addin does display any public methods you would need to see the documentation on that other addin. Otherwise you cannot do what you want.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"stelios84" <=?utf-8?B?c3RlbGlvczg0?=> wrote in message news:2b1ec273-79a4-49c3-a51c-68f99b6f659f...

thanks for reply Ken ,

what i  need to do in order with a button press from VB  to display the add in or any add in form in outlook from VB any help ?

stelios ----------

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by stelios84 Friday, April 1, 2011 1:51 PM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:26 PM

All replies

• If you look at the Object Browser for strings you will see that they do not have any such Display() method.

If you want to show the string value you need to do something like this:

System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(Myobject)

Of course by using all those dot operators concatenated together you would never know which piece of item.Application.COMAddIns.Item(7).ProgId is throwing an exception if there is one. You really should use separate objects for each of those dot operators.

BTW, this forum is for VSTO addin questions.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"stelios84" <=?utf-8?B?c3RlbGlvczg0?=> wrote in message news:535488e5-51a7-481a-b18d-e92bf658a063...

hello , sorry if am posting this questions in a wrong session of posts.

i have create a simple applcation which in a datagridview  , is displaying some names with them emails and the phones of that names,

with a button am loop inside the grid and am selecting from the email column the emails and display the outlook new email to ready for send.

Now, i have download also from microsoft the add in for Sms Text (MOSA) and i would like with the same procedure of loopin inside the grid for email to do that for phones and simply display the new sms form with the phones i have loop from grid,
    several days am trying to find a way of how to open (display that item by VB net and i can't) like i do for new email.

i have try several ways like below but am getting the error Public member 'display' on type 'String' not found. Please any help full advice i will be appreciate.

Dim item As Outlook.Application = New Outlook.Application
    MsgBox(item.Application.COMAddIns.Item(7).ProgId) ' my object addin name is OctSms.connect
    Dim Myobject As New Object

Myobject = item.Application.COMAddIns.Item(7).ProgId  

Myobject.display()

stelios ----------

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:06 PM
  • thanks for reply Ken ,

what i  need to do in order with a button press from VB  to display the add in or any add in form in outlook from VB any help ?

stelios ----------
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:19 PM
  • You cannot display an addin. What you are asking is a meaningless question.

If the addin doesn't expose any public methods that you can call it's a self-contained object over which you have no control.

If the addin does display any public methods you would need to see the documentation on that other addin. Otherwise you cannot do what you want.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"stelios84" <=?utf-8?B?c3RlbGlvczg0?=> wrote in message news:2b1ec273-79a4-49c3-a51c-68f99b6f659f...

thanks for reply Ken ,

stelios ----------

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by stelios84 Friday, April 1, 2011 1:51 PM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:26 PM