none
Excel 2007 .xlsm Application compatable with Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have finely lost the plot, for weeks I have been trying to load an Excel macro .xlsm file created on a Windows 7, with Office 2007 Professional on to a brand new computer running Windows 8.1 with Office 2007 Enterprise. on opening the file in Excel I get "compile error in hidden module". I tried everything to repair this without any success all the research pointed to reinstalling Office so bought Office 2013 and installed it. Same thing "compile error" indecently the very same Excel .xlsm file runs perfectly on another machine running Windows XP and Office 2010. Further more another application which uses Excel for invoices and reports could not even find Excel.  Researching the internet I find that Office 2013 has compatibility problems with Windows 8.1 Well done Microsoft!

I called the Microsoft help line to find if there is a fix and ended up somewhere in India speaking to someone in a language worse than pigeon English 20 minutes later and diverted twice I explained the problem and was asked for my contract number... Duh! I said what about the warranty and was told sorry can't help you. Well done Microsoft! 

Uninstalled Office 2013 and replaced it with Office 2010 home and student. deleted all the .exd files from the disastrous Dec Microsoft update, Well done Microsoft! reregistered the MSCOMCTL.OCX and FM20.DLL planted the.xlsm file in a trusted location checked all the Macro and ActiveX settings and tried to load the file. The file  loads but  I now get  "Runtime Error 32809" it cant recognise 3 pages out of the has 19 pages it has. At any reference to one of these 3 pages and it crashes.

I have been through "Compile Error" "Object does not exist on this machine" "Can't exit design mode" "Hidden file in Module" "Cant create ButtonX" "Unexpected Error 32809" and finally I am almost there but "Runtime Error 32809" have tried 3 versions of Office and now totally frustrated and have no more hair left to pull out. Well done Microsoft you are too busy writing new operating systems to dump on us every two years which no doubt will also not be compatible even with itself please fix the issues we are currently burdened with and I would like a refund for the Office 2013 which is not compatible with your flagship Windows8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, January 16, 2015 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you reproduce that issue with a normal excel enabled macro file (.xlsm file without any macro code)?

If it doesn’t have the issue for normal excel enabled macro file, please try to open it in another windows 8.1 machine and check the result. You may share the sample file on the OneDrive, we will check it.

By the way, I don’t can’t reproduce that issue. (create a .xlsm file in windows 7 with office enterprise 2007, then open it in office 2013 professional in windows8.1, different office version with yours)

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:39 AM
  • hi Starain

I have One Drive but never use it, please talk me through how to share the file on One Drive for you to see I think I need your email address. By the way the file was created on Windows 7 Office 7 Professional.

Monday, January 19, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

About share the file on the OneDrive, please refer to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/share-file-folder

Everyone could get the file that shared on the OneDrive.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, January 23, 2015 2:13 AM
  • Hi Stariain, sorry but I am unable to share the file publically my company says it has too much confidential clients information in the content.
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 12:40 PM
  • confidential clients information in the content.

Make a copy of your file, select the cells with the informations and run the macro below.

Andreas.

Sub SelectionToRandomData()
      Dim R As Range, All As Range
      Dim S As String, Digit As String
      Dim d As Double, i As Long

If Not TypeOf Selection Is Range Then
        MsgBox "Select some cells to randomize and try again", vbInformation
        Exit Sub
      End If
      Set All = Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Selection)
      If All Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "No data inside the select cells", vbInformation
        Exit Sub
      End If
      For Each R In All
        If R.HasFormula Then GoTo Skip
        If IsEmpty(R) Then GoTo Skip
        S = R.Value
        If IsDate(S) Then
          If R.Value < 1 Then
            R.Value = Rnd
          ElseIf Int(R.Value) = R.Value Then
            R.Value = Round(R.Value + 365 * (Rnd - 0.5), 0)
          Else
            R.Value = R.Value + 365 * (Rnd - 0.5)
          End If
        ElseIf IsNumeric(S) Then
          For i = 1 To Len(S)
            Digit = Mid$(S, i, 1)
            If Digit Like "#" Then Mid$(S, i, 1) = Chr(48 + Rnd * 9)
          Next
          R.Value = CDbl(S)
        Else
          For i = 1 To Len(S)
            Mid$(S, i, 1) = Chr(IIf(Rnd > 0.5, 65, 97) + Rnd * 26)
          Next
          R.Value = S
        End If
    Skip:
      Next
    End Sub

Sunday, January 25, 2015 9:26 AM
  • hi great code Andreas, but I simply changed what needed.

unfortunately the forum wont let me add a link something about my account not being verified.  

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

You could paste the link in your reply, then select the link and click remove hyperlink (Ctrl+shift+K).

Regards

Starain

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:07 AM
  • hi Starain

When opening the file on the problem computer the pages in question which are not recognised have ActiveX control buttons with given unique names. In the VB Editor for these pages the buttons and the unique names are there but so are a number of names for a control such as ControlButton1, ControlButton2 etc. which don't belong there.  the Buttons on the sheet are also missing.  Can't understand this as other pages also with controlbuttons are working fine.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FF10B30677A86543!125&authkey=!AEwS0QUuMBUmYSQ&ithint=file%2cxlsm

the protection on VB Editor has been removed. hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:18 AM
  • There was a recent (~December 13th) Office update that broke the functionality of ActiveX controls.

You may execute the FixIt tool Microsoft made to fix your problem: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3025036/EN-US?wa=wsignin1.0

If you want to know details of your problem: http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2014/12/13/forms-controls-stop-working-after-december-2014-updates.aspx

Felipe Costa Gualberto - http://www.ambienteoffice.com.br

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:26 PM
  • Felipe's solution has to do with the .exd files which I have deleted numerous times. If the .exd files are the problem none of the ActiveX controls work, my case some controls do and some don't.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:08 PM
  • other pages also with controlbuttons are working fine.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FF10B30677A86543!125&authkey=!AEwS0QUuMBUmYSQ&ithint=file%2cxlsm

I have downloaded your file and your file has many coding errors, missing controls, etc.

Open the VBA editor, in the menu click Debug\Compile to get the 1st error. Correct your code then click Debug\Compile again until all errors are gone.

Then check the functionality of the file. When the main issue persists, upload that file again and post the download link here.

Andreas.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Sorry about that it was careless of me. I had correct the errors on the problem machine but the result did not change.

corrections version

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FF10B30677A86543!126&authkey=!AKzSUbxYBFLgz0I&ithint=file%2cxlsm

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Sorry about that it was careless of me.

Don't worry, nobody is perfect. :-)

I can open the file without problems, check if your systems has this updates installed:

2596927 for Office 2007, 2553154 for Office 2010, and 2726958 for Office 2013.

After you have installed an update delete the *.exdand test the behavior again.

Andreas.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 11:03 AM