Field mapping problem between TFS 2008 and Project Server 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have mapped the Start date and Finish date fields for work item to the Start- and Finish date fields in MSProject. Then I am setting a Start date and Finish date in TFS, that are not the same. When I import the work items from TFS to the project, the Finsh date from the TFS will be the same as the start date.

I am guessing that this because most companies do their planning from Project, but is it some way to do it the oposite direction, and get the correct dates in Project?

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 2:15 PM

Answers

• )have you tried looking at the field mappings betwen teamsystem and MS project ? 
    With TFSFieldMapping.exe located at (c:\ Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE) you can download, edit and upload your mappings used when syncronising between TFS and MS project

/Mattias

• Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:42 AM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:31 PM
  • The mapping for Start and Finish dates is configured to be mapped in "Publish only" mode for Project; this means that these fields will be updated only when published from Project to TFS, but not when exported from TFS to Project. This can lead even to overwrite these dates with wrong values if you export work items to Project and then publish the tasks without modifying these fields.

The best practice to work with TFS and Project together is to consider Project as the master source of information for the work items. For example, a typical scenario would be the following:

- Create some tasks from Team Explorer
    - Export these tasks to Project
    - Modify the tasks within Project (for example change start and finish dates, link tasks, etc.)
    - Save the .mpp file
    - Publish the changes to TFS
    - Upload the Project file to Sharepoint project portal, so it can be backed up and accessed by other team members
    - Anyone who wants to use the Project file, should have to get it from project portal instead of creating a new one. All the information of the task will be preserved this way, including start and finish dates, links, groups, milestones...

If you don't want to follow these practices, then you could modify the mapping using tfsfieldmapping.exe as Mattias stated, maybe in combination with the Process Template Editor provided with the Power Tools, from the "Areas & Iterations" section.

Hope it helps...

Best regards

Friday, March 6, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Hey ,

Here is an example - How To: Change Estimate/Remaining/Complete Fields Format To Days Instead Of Hours
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. My blog: blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/shair
    • Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:43 AM
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 6:20 AM
  • Hi Sølvi

Sorry for the late reply. I have been very busy recently.

I don't recommend removing "PublishOnly" for start/end date fields. One of the major benefits Project provides is to schedule tasks automatically based on many conditions such as task dependency, duration etc.  Please refer to How scheduling works in Project for more information.

When Project schedule task for us, it overrides the start/end date settings from the TFS. So, we should set stat/end date in Project only.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:30 AM

All replies

• )have you tried looking at the field mappings betwen teamsystem and MS project ? 
    With TFSFieldMapping.exe located at (c:\ Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE) you can download, edit and upload your mappings used when syncronising between TFS and MS project

/Mattias

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:31 PM
  • The mapping for Start and Finish dates is configured to be mapped in "Publish only" mode for Project; this means that these fields will be updated only when published from Project to TFS, but not when exported from TFS to Project. This can lead even to overwrite these dates with wrong values if you export work items to Project and then publish the tasks without modifying these fields.

The best practice to work with TFS and Project together is to consider Project as the master source of information for the work items. For example, a typical scenario would be the following:

- Create some tasks from Team Explorer
    - Export these tasks to Project
    - Modify the tasks within Project (for example change start and finish dates, link tasks, etc.)
    - Save the .mpp file
    - Publish the changes to TFS
    - Upload the Project file to Sharepoint project portal, so it can be backed up and accessed by other team members
    - Anyone who wants to use the Project file, should have to get it from project portal instead of creating a new one. All the information of the task will be preserved this way, including start and finish dates, links, groups, milestones...

If you don't want to follow these practices, then you could modify the mapping using tfsfieldmapping.exe as Mattias stated, maybe in combination with the Process Template Editor provided with the Power Tools, from the "Areas & Iterations" section.

Hope it helps...

Best regards

Friday, March 6, 2009 12:19 AM
  • We have the same approach with the central project file stored in sharepoint, but we dont regard it as the master source of workitems, just the master source for the structural relationships between workitems, groups milestones...

But we do syncronise our workitems in both ways, fetching current status, remaing hours and even new workitems from TFS.
    For that to work smothly and not overwite data in project we have adjusted the fieldmappings as described earlier, to suite our needs we have also done som customization of our workitems.

/Mattias

Saturday, March 7, 2009 10:40 AM
  • Hey ,

Here is an example - How To: Change Estimate/Remaining/Complete Fields Format To Days Instead Of Hours
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. My blog: blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/shair
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 6:20 AM
  • Thanks for the replies !

Sorry if I was a bit unclear in my first post - I had already done the fieldmapping, and removed the PublishOnly flag.  The problem I have is that the startdate seems to be recalculated or changed from the TFS to Project.  If I set it IN TFS to f.e 6.3 and finish to 10.3, then both fields are set to 10.3 when I look in Project.  It seems that the duration field are affecting the setting of the startdate, the finishdate always follows what is set in the TFS.
    Does this give you any more clues ?

best regards
    Sølvi
    Monday, March 9, 2009 12:32 PM
  • Hi Sølvi

Sorry for the late reply. I have been very busy recently.

I don't recommend removing "PublishOnly" for start/end date fields. One of the major benefits Project provides is to schedule tasks automatically based on many conditions such as task dependency, duration etc.  Please refer to How scheduling works in Project for more information.

When Project schedule task for us, it overrides the start/end date settings from the TFS. So, we should set stat/end date in Project only.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:30 AM