Custom Control Access Violation

Question

• I have a custom control that inherits from textbox in a separate class and file than my mainpage class. Inside my mainpage class I have a standard textblock that I'm using to output some variables. I'm trying to get a pointer to the mainpage class from my custom control so I can access the textblock and change its text. My mainpage class has the following function to get the textblock:

Windows::UI::Xaml::Controls::TextBlock ^ GetTextBlock() { return OutputWindow; }

Inside my custom control I have a function to retrieve the mainpage and textblock pointer which I call inside the mainpage constructor after InitializeComponent();.

CustomControl:

void CustomControl::SetMainPage(MainPage ^ mainPage)
    {
        m_mainPage = mainPage;
        m_outputWindow = mainPage->GetTextBlock();
    }

MainPage:

MainPage::MainPage()
    {
        InitializeComponent();

m_customControl.SetMainPage(this);
    }

The textblock pointer should be saved into the m_outputWindow pointer. But when I try to output a variable in the OnKeyDown event I get an access violation on m_outputWindow. Can someone show me the correct way to access the mainpage and textblock pointer so I can directly use the control from my custom control?
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:45 PM

Answers

• The m_outputWindow member is going out of scope at the end of the CustomControl::SetMainPage function but the m_mainpage pointer is still valid. If I put the member declaration of m_outputWindow at the top of the source file everything works correctly, but I rather have the declarations inside the header, can anyone tell me what's going on?
    • Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, January 14, 2013 6:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:18 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

We should get the m_mainpage in this way
     m_mainpage = MainPage::Current;

And we should also check if the m_outputWindow is the member of your customer control class.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:20 AM

All replies

• The m_outputWindow member is going out of scope at the end of the CustomControl::SetMainPage function but the m_mainpage pointer is still valid. If I put the member declaration of m_outputWindow at the top of the source file everything works correctly, but I rather have the declarations inside the header, can anyone tell me what's going on?
    • Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, January 14, 2013 6:16 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

We should get the m_mainpage in this way
     m_mainpage = MainPage::Current;

And we should also check if the m_outputWindow is the member of your customer control class.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:20 AM