none
Spain being mistaken for Gibraltar on Bing Map Chart when plotting on Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the Map Chart to plot certain varying geographical data. For some odd reason, Spain is being mistaken for Gibraltar when I select all the European countries. If I select Spain and a few other countries it recognizes it correctly but when it is part of the EU it gets mixed up. I tried selecting it in various ways and even tried to block Gibraltar to no avail.

Saturday, August 17, 2019 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Benjius,

The data team has found the issue. The problem is that the Spain polygon was poorly drawn such that it covered the Gibraltar polygon when drawn second.  The polygon has been fixed and a refresh/redraw of your chart should fix this issue.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, April 24, 2020 12:26 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Oliver,

Gibraltar is tied to the U.K. not Spain.  Can you provide a sample of the issue you are seeing?  Including the data that is being used to indicate the region?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, August 23, 2019 3:36 PM
    Owner
  • Was this solved?

This data set in Excel 16:35

Gibraltar 1
    Portugal 31
    Spain

Maps Spain to Gibralter!

Interesting political error!

What's wrong 

Peter

Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:55 PM
  • Hi Peter,

I was unable to find a correlation in our Bing Maps data. Again Gibraltar is tied to the UK in the data so I am not sure what path you are taking to get your correlation.  Can you be more specific?  What steps can I take to see the correlation you are seeing?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, April 3, 2020 3:04 AM
    Owner
  • Hello IoTGirl,

I have a similar issue with Spain and Gibraltar.

From my experience, the map result depends on data order.

If Gibraltar is above Spain in data, Spain map will display Gibraltar Value.

If Spain is above Gibraltar in data, Spain map will display Spain Value.

Best regards,

• Edited by Benjius Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:50 AM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:41 AM
  • Hi Benjius,

Unfortunately I can't replicate that correlation in our Bing Maps Data.  The only link I have shows U.K.  Do you have any details you can share with me on what might be impacting your experience?  Can you give me some fake sample data and steps I can take in excel to see the issue?

Sincere thanks,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 5:11 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

My account is not verified so i can't post picture.

But purhaps we are not talking about the same "Map feature" in excel.

My issue is with the map charts located in the ribbon "Insert" -> "Charts" -> "Maps" not with the map charts located in the ribbon "Insert -> Add-Ins -> Bing Maps".

I hope i didn't post in the wrong topic.

You can try this (as table)

Country Value
    Gibraltar B
    Spain A
    France A
    Portugal A
    United Kingdom

A

Country Value
    Spain A
    France A
    Gibraltar B
    Portugal A
    United Kingdom A

The map will not be the same.In the first case, Spain will display B.

In the second case, spain will display A.

The correct value is A, in both case.

Best regards,

• Edited by Benjius Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:43 PM
    Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:05 PM
  • Hi Benjius,

This sample is excellent!  I have the following screen shot I will escalate:

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, April 23, 2020 5:39 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Benjius,

The data team has found the issue. The problem is that the Spain polygon was poorly drawn such that it covered the Gibraltar polygon when drawn second.  The polygon has been fixed and a refresh/redraw of your chart should fix this issue.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, April 24, 2020 12:26 AM
    Owner
  • Hi  IoTGirl,

I tried and the problem is now solved for new excel files

Can't make it work with an old one. i tried to delete and create a new charts but the issue is the same.

It's not a big issue if it work with new files.

Thank you !

Best regards,

• Edited by Benjius Friday, April 24, 2020 7:50 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2020 7:05 AM
  • Hi Benjius,

Thank you for confirming the fix! I am not sure how you would trigger a download of the new polygons on an existing file but that is what would need to happen.  I am on the Bing Maps team so am not familiar with the triggers in Excel.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, April 24, 2020 7:53 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

I'm having the same issue and it doesn't seem to be fixed for me.  Only the Canary Islands are shown as Spain, but the mainland country is blank.  Even if I just select Italy and Spain or France and Spain, Spain isn't filled.

-PR

Saturday, April 25, 2020 5:40 PM
  • Hi PR,

Please ensure that you are using a new file as the issue is likely that you have the old Spain polygon and it is drawing over Gibraltar.  If you are content with the old polygon, forcing Spain to draw first and Gibraltar to draw second will put Gibraltar on top as a work around.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, April 27, 2020 8:59 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

I'm experiencing the same issue generating Spain in a map. I've tried opening several new files and starting from scratch, but Bing isn't recognizing the bulk of Spain on the Iberian peninsula. Instead, it shows the Canary Islands and the Balearic Isalnds.

I would post a link example but I can't without having my account verified.
    EDIT: I have posted the screenshot below.

Even if I make a simple data set, Spain (or at least its main Iberian part) won't show up. Example data set:

COUNTRY     NUMBER
    FRANCE           7
    SPAIN             3 

Any idea what might be causing this?

EDIT: FOUND THE ANSWER: 

The answer came from another forum. This worked quite well for me and several others commenting there as well: "Open a new workbook. (close everything)... plot the same data but open it on 3D MAP option.... browse around, return to same sheet and it should appear correctly."

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 8:52 PM
  • Hi TheFiffs,

I am Unable to reproduce your issue...

Is there something special about your setup?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 9:30 PM
    Owner