none
Outlook 2010 Create Ribbon button to op already created custom form RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've created a form in Outlook 2010 (using the designer in Outlook - I'll explain further down below why that is) and published it to an Exchange Server (public folders).
    All users in the office (about 70) can now access the form by going to New Items, Forms, etc.
    I want to make a button on the Ribbon for them that opens this custom form, and had previously done this with a VBA Macro.  Signed it using my own proper certificate and can hence distribute it to the other PCs.

Now here's the catch.  Those PCs are used by several users (they're all hot-desks, so no-one really has his own PC and then the button, macro is not showing up on their profile and even worse, I always need to be an Admin to install it (users have very limited rights on the PCs).

I would thus like to create a VSTO add-in that basically is the Ribbon, the button and the controls to open this exacy custom form. The add-in can be deployed more easily.  I CANNOT make the custom form as the add-in (i.e. Form Region with Replace All), as the Form needs to be adaptable by local sysops (who can go into their Outlook, Design A form and make the necessary changes if they need to and then publish it again to the Exchange Server), but these sysops cannot develop in VS2010 VSTO.

So, basically, how can I do this, open an existing Custom Form from the Ribbon?

Best regards,

Robby

Sunday, April 3, 2011 12:09 PM

Answers

• With Outlook the only way to work with the ribbon is with an addin, ribbon programming is not supported for macro (VBA code).

There are 2 ways to open a new item with a custom MessageClass: use CreateItemFromTemplate(customMessageClass) or use the ItemsAdd(customMessageClass) method of the Items collection of the folder where you want to add the item. In both cases you supply the custom MessageClass.

To open an existing item that is selected you can use ActiveExplorer().Selection.Item(1).Display(). That's in VB.NET code.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"IlRoberto" <=?utf-8?B?SWxSb2JlcnRv?=> wrote in message news:533536d8-1f4f-4e96-b11c-dc66ade80461...

Hi all,

I've created a form in Outlook 2010 (using the designer in Outlook - I'll explain further down below why that is) and published it to an Exchange Server (public folders).
    All users in the office (about 70) can now access the form by going to New Items, Forms, etc.
    I want to make a button on the Ribbon for them that opens this custom form, and had previously done this with a VBA Macro.  Signed it using my own proper certificate and can hence distribute it to the other PCs.

Now here's the catch.  Those PCs are used by several users (they're all hot-desks, so no-one really has his own PC and then the button, macro is not showing up on their profile and even worse, I always need to be an Admin to install it (users have very limited rights on the PCs).

I would thus like to create a VSTO add-in that basically is the Ribbon, the button and the controls to open this exacy custom form. The add-in can be deployed more easily.  I CANNOT make the custom form as the add-in (i.e. Form Region with Replace All), as the Form needs to be adaptable by local sysops (who can go into their Outlook, Design A form and make the necessary changes if they need to and then publish it again to the Exchange Server), but these sysops cannot develop in VS2010 VSTO.

So, basically, how can I do this, open an existing Custom Form from the Ribbon?

Best regards,

Robby

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:28 PM