MS Open source projects question RRS feed

• Question

• User1034446946 posted

Hi

I want to take the asp.net core identity source code and play about with it in my project,since its open source is this ok?

if it is ok, how do i go about putting it in my project? do i have to take everything in the src folder,or do I have to take the whole project?

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 10:54 PM

Answers

• User-782232518 posted

to make it work and

There are several documents in that repo, so to compile the code (if that's why you meant by making it work) you need to go after https://github.com/aspnet/AspNetCore/blob/master/docs/BuildFromSource.md

Please spend enough time on that repo, as ASP.NET Core is a huge project. I don't expect you to understand it in just a few days.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:04 AM
  • User-474980206 posted
    You could download and build just identity

https://github.com/aspnet/Identity

Then reference your version rather than using the nuget package.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:26 PM
  • User-854763662 posted

Hi EnenDaveyBoy ,

If you put the whole src folder of identity into the project , there will an error when your project has the two solution due to the identity project has itself solution .

Why do you want to put such a large amount of source code into your own project? It is unreasonable . You could try to install identity package if you want .

Best Regards ,

Sherry

Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:54 AM
  • User475983607 posted

I want to expand/change some of the interfaces and methods to suit my project better, I think it would be fairly straight forward, if not I will soon find out.

I don't recommend changing the interfaces.  That could be confusing later especially as the source code evolves.  

Generally, you implement an interface using your own code.   

Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:14 PM

All replies

• User-782232518 posted

ASP.NET Core source code is released under Apache 2.0 license, https://github.com/aspnet/AspNetCore/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

As long as you follow that license, the usage is OK. To learn more about that license (and other open source licenses), you can use a search engine.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:16 PM
  • User1034446946 posted

Thanks, so to use the source code can i just use the code in the src folder? or is everything needed? (both to make it work and for licencing?(i can't see anthing in the licence which states i need everything)

Whats standard

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:54 PM
  • User-782232518 posted

to make it work and

There are several documents in that repo, so to compile the code (if that's why you meant by making it work) you need to go after https://github.com/aspnet/AspNetCore/blob/master/docs/BuildFromSource.md

Please spend enough time on that repo, as ASP.NET Core is a huge project. I don't expect you to understand it in just a few days.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:04 AM
  • User1034446946 posted

i am only interest in Microsoft.AspNetCore.Identity nore the full core project.

Will have a play about and see what i can do.

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 10:40 AM
  • User-474980206 posted

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:26 PM
  • User1034446946 posted

Tahats what i was planning to do, but it has folderswhich have examples in which I am hoping I wouldn't need and there are loads of files in the root folder, I was hoping I could just download the src folder,so I don't have alot of bloat, but at the same time, I want to make sure I have everything to ensure it will work and keep within any licence or restrictions.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:21 AM
  • User-854763662 posted

Hi EnenDaveyBoy ,

If you put the whole src folder of identity into the project , there will an error when your project has the two solution due to the identity project has itself solution .

Why do you want to put such a large amount of source code into your own project? It is unreasonable . You could try to install identity package if you want .

Best Regards ,

Sherry

Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:54 AM
  • User1034446946 posted

Hi EnenDaveyBoy ,

Best Regards ,

Sherry

I want to expand/change some of the interfaces and methods to suit my project better, I think it would be fairly straight forward, if not I will soon find out.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:07 PM
  • User475983607 posted

I don't recommend changing the interfaces.  That could be confusing later especially as the source code evolves.  

Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:14 PM
  • User1034446946 posted

EnenDaveyBoy

the change would only be on one but i think I found a work around for now,can always revisit it later if i need to.

Friday, May 31, 2019 1:13 AM