none
Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 - Memory issues

Question

• I have been using Visual Studio Pro 2015 for months now but I am having what appears to be a memory leak problem.

When I have been using VS 2015 for hours, I see the devenv.exe *32 process consume a great deal of memory.  After 2 hours it has climbed to at least 1.5gig.  After another hour or so it is up to around 2gig and then the application just stops responding or is incredibly slow on doing even simple tasks such as builds or really anything else.  I have tried closing the solution to see if it free's up memory, but no matter what I do, VS will not free up that memory until I close the program and start it again.

How do identify what is causing this?  It is frustrating and I hate that I have to restart VS every couple of hours.

Thursday, February 04, 2016 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Andy_IDDHW,

Please try with following steps to check what's the probable reasons for this issue.

1. Run Visual Studio as administrator to check whether the lack of permissions causes this issue.
    2. Run Visual Studio 2015 Community in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Close all third part software, such as antivirus, which often causes different weird problem.
    4. Please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

If still can't find any helpful information, please try with debug your Visual Studio with itself. Please refer to below blog which introduce how to use Visual Studio to debug itself.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/calvin_hsia/archive/2009/06/08/9711306.aspx

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, February 05, 2016 7:08 AM