none
Help starting with programming for my Android tablet using VS Community 2015 update 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to learn programming for my Android using Visual Basic of VS Community 2015. How do I start? I have update 2. How about a Hello World.

Larry

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Larry,

Actually, Xamarin.Android does not support Visual Basic directly - follow the instructions on this page to create a C# Xamarin.Forms PCL solution and then replace the common code PCL project with Visual Basic.

For more details, please check the following link.

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/application_fundamentals/pcl/portable_visual_basic_net/xamarin-forms/

I also checked in VS2015  Community update 2. Only C# Android template exists.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Kristin,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll explore that after I get VS Community 2015 back up and running. I lost it. Each time I try to re-install it, it tries to install Enterprise, but stalls on the installation. The first time it took 15 hours and stalled in the last (I calculate) half hour re-configuring my machine. I think the re-installation did some damage to my system as I lost a half dozen store apps, including "Store" itself. I've been following a reply on Windows 10 to see if I can fix it. I would hate to lose all my added programs by going back to square one (re-install windows). I tried to create a new Microsoft account and succeeded, but I can't log on with it as it complains "User profile could not be loaded." As I understand it, that is created on the first logon with the new account.

Thanks for 'listening'.

Larry

Sunday, May 29, 2016 9:15 PM
  • Hi Larry,

Thanks for your feedback. If you have any questions which related to Visual Studio. I suggest you post a thread on Visual Studio General Forum. You will get dedicated help there.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Thanks, Kristin. I don't know if I can get my mind around that. I was hoping using VB alone, I could write programs for my tablet, but not for others, as I have for my desktop. Someone will write a program/compiler/whatnot for VB and tablets.

LarryRichardsUS

Saturday, June 4, 2016 4:08 AM
  • Xamarin Android does not support Visual Basic language.
    Saturday, June 4, 2016 5:10 AM