So irritated at transparancy. RRS feed

• Question

• All right, so I'm exporting my images to PNG. Transparancy is turned on, everything looks a-ok, and then we run into a snag. I'm trying to send these logos to my client for further use in his programs, and displayed on the desktop they show up fine. But when he goes to use them in some other program, there is a white background. What gives? Please help, because I'm on the verge of landing something big if I can get these to work properly.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• It depends on what "other program" he is trying to use them in. Not all programs support PNG transparency. For example Internet Explorer 6 did not support transparent PNGs but Internet Explorer 7 and 8 do. Firefox also does support transparent PNGs. What program(s) specifically is he trying to use?

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Expression Support
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Some apps will show transparency as white, some apps will show it as black and other apps might just show transparency effect over a chequerboard background.

Some apps automatically (ie by default) show a background as white and of course export file formats may or may not cater for transparency and in most cases transparency effect might just show as white anyway.

When you say "displayed on desktop" does it mean on a Mac?

Anyway, transparency/white background can be used creatively...

5-001.gif (best downloaded and viewed in a browser - it is an animated GIF)

And here how how one image may be previewed in three different ways each with a different result (transparency as an effect, as white, as mid-grey)

Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:37 PM
  • If IE6 is the problem, there's a javascript workaround that will allow PNG's to display correctly that we use all the time at: http://24ways.org/2007/supersleight-transparent-png-in-ie6
    www.LeonTerry.com
    • Proposed as answer by VLTII Monday, July 13, 2009 3:54 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:54 PM