none
How to create virtual domain controller and virtual client in Windows server 2012 R2 Hyper-V? RRS feed

• Question

• My host box is Windows 8.1 and I have created two virtual machines:

1. Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

2. Windows 7 Ultimate

I have one external virtual switch created (connected to the NIC) and both machines are using the same virtual switch.

Now, I setup Windows Server as domain controller (just followed some direction to create AD) and am trying to join Windows 7 to the domain.  From Windows 7 client, when I try to join the domain, I am getting an error that it cannot be found.

I know I can setup a virtual network using Hyper-V but apparently, I am not getting it done right and am probably missing something.  BTW, I don't have a static IP and I am using Comcast as my internet provider.

Any assistance (any links for step-by-step guide?) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SK

Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:43 AM

All replies

• you should be able to ping the DC from the 7 machine if not your dns is wrong, your dc should be your dhcp, and dns server too, the windows 7 machine should either use dhcp or static with the dc as dns primary.
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:02 PM
  • You would need to change the IP settings for your DC and Win7. Change your config to static – this will make everything easy. (As a starter). Configure your TCP/IP network settings as below. Let us know if you have any more problems. 

Regards, MassonTech

• Proposed as answer by piglizard9 Friday, March 25, 2016 4:27 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:21 AM