Inactive test plans in test manger RRS feed

• Question

• How can I see inactive test plans in the test manger's Testing center? I wanted to activate those tes plans. Where should I see them?

Other than above question, in the following link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd293536.aspx

I saw it saying 'If a test plan is in an inactive state, you can only view the test plan and edit it. You cannot run any tests from an inactive test plan. ' However we can run individual test cases in the inactive test plan, so how can it be justifiable ??

Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:56 PM

Answers

• Hello Ramvik.b,

It is possible for you to get the inactive test plans in the Test Plan Manager in MTM. In the Test Center, go to the Organize tab, and click Test Plan Manager then you can see these inactive test plans. Please see the following screenshots:

And as far as I know that if a test plan is in an inactive state, you cannot view the test plan and edit it in the Plan

view. Although you can get the test case in that plan in the Test Case Manager, however you can only view it and there is no option for you to run it. How do you run the individual test case which in inactive test plan?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, May 18, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Hi Ramvik.b,

No, it is not possible for you to change the state from Inactive to Active directly in the Test Plan Manager. You need to open the test plan, and then modify it.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Ramvik.b,

I am moving your case to the MTM forum as it is more appropriate for you.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Friday, May 18, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Hello Ramvik.b,

It is possible for you to get the inactive test plans in the Test Plan Manager in MTM. In the Test Center, go to the Organize tab, and click Test Plan Manager then you can see these inactive test plans. Please see the following screenshots:

And as far as I know that if a test plan is in an inactive state, you cannot view the test plan and edit it in the Plan

view. Although you can get the test case in that plan in the Test Case Manager, however you can only view it and there is no option for you to run it. How do you run the individual test case which in inactive test plan?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Friday, May 18, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Hi Ramvik.b,

No, it is not possible for you to change the state from Inactive to Active directly in the Test Plan Manager. You need to open the test plan, and then modify it.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:28 AM