Guru's please: Designing a database with different data access levels RRS feed

• Question

• I will use facebook as a prime example. How does one design a database that restricts certain user levels to certain data? I am developing a database that holds Juvenile Information that is shared among different organizations. Certain organizations have access to certain portions of a Juvenile's information while other's don't under the law. Currently I have one big MS Azure SQL db that they all would share and the data restriction was planned to be carried out in code. I have just been advised that I will waste memory and expose my data to "mishaps" by doing this. 

Another option I see is having separate databases for each type of organization and sending "packets" of info to each one when they need it?

for example Police station sends school information on juvenile A that he has been arrested twice outside of school but can not send them any other details than that due to law. So this would be the process I think:

Police opens juvenile file

Police sends file to school organization database.

School organization gets the file 

Please any helps or comments needed. I need to know the best way to carry out this program. (C#, WPF, SQL Azure, SQL BLOb

Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:14 PM

Answers

All replies