Report with over 200k pages, and about 6 million rows RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way that I can flash data into a form with reporting services in a fast way, my current process flashes data to a form on a mainframe and exports the file to PDF and PostScript, I'm trying to migrate this process to SSRS. Is there a way to configure SSRS to handle creating reports with over 6 million rows and over 100k pages and export the data to a PostScript and PDF files in a timely manner?

I can do this with Crystal Reports and it will take me about 1 day to create the PDF file and another to convert to PostScript however I would like to use SSRS for this since the data is already on SQL Server.

Thank you.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 10:03 PM

Answers

• Hi HectorM1,

That is quiet the requirement you have. By default, RS does not have a PostScript renderer, but you could create one or possibly find one online.

As to RS being able to process that large of a report to PDF, it is possible, but not sure if performance would be much better. Whether it is in Crystal Reports or RS, I would look to see how I could break up the report into more manageable chunks, say 1000 pages.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft SQL Server Business Intelligence This posting is provided ASIS with no warranties.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 10:30 PM
  • Hi HectorM1,

PDF rendering extension is included in the Reporting Service. We can export the report to PDF through the export option. While PostScript hasn’t been included in Reporting Services, if you want to export the report in this format, you need to create a custom rendering extension based on Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.IRenderingExtension interface. Please refer to this article: Implementing a Rendering Extension.

As there are large data to display in the report, the report performance might be affected. However, you can troubleshoot and optimize the report performance based on links below:
    Troubleshooting Reports: Report Performance
    More tips to improve performance of SSRS reports

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi HectorM1,

That is quiet the requirement you have. By default, RS does not have a PostScript renderer, but you could create one or possibly find one online.

As to RS being able to process that large of a report to PDF, it is possible, but not sure if performance would be much better. Whether it is in Crystal Reports or RS, I would look to see how I could break up the report into more manageable chunks, say 1000 pages.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft SQL Server Business Intelligence This posting is provided ASIS with no warranties.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 10:30 PM
  • Hi HectorM1,

PDF rendering extension is included in the Reporting Service. We can export the report to PDF through the export option. While PostScript hasn’t been included in Reporting Services, if you want to export the report in this format, you need to create a custom rendering extension based on Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.IRenderingExtension interface. Please refer to this article: Implementing a Rendering Extension.

As there are large data to display in the report, the report performance might be affected. However, you can troubleshoot and optimize the report performance based on links below:
    Troubleshooting Reports: Report Performance
    More tips to improve performance of SSRS reports

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:28 AM