Four instances with the same functionality for four concurrent users

Question

• I'm building an application for an 82" touch table. The idea is to have four people sitting around the table, each with, what appears to be, their own instance of the same application running, in a grid arrangement - so each user has 1/4 of the table for their instance of the application. From an implementation point of view, it doesn't matter to the user if it's one or multiple applications.

I've tried using a grid and arranging the pages appropriately for the user within one application; this worked fairly well, but there were some limitations: the swiping gesture for app bars didn't work as expected for each user and when a new page was opened, this would open full screen, rather than within the quarter of the screen for that user.

What is the best way to achieve this?

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:21 PM

Answers

• There is no built in support for this. You will need to implement it within your single app.

I'd probably put separate frames in each quadrant and let each user navigate within their one frame.

You'll need to provide your own app bar implementation if you want to limit it to only one sub-app and if you want to orient it to the near side rather than the top/bottom. 

If you run in assigned access mode (which seems likely for this app) then the charms won't be available so you won't need to worry about them being full screen. 

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:08 PM
    Owner