none
Functionality of Security in PWA (Project Server) 2013 for Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have gone through many sites..search & videos. But still didn't got right answer so far for PWA 2013. (May be i am unable to understand)

Case 1)  

Here is case that there is Project A & Project B. In Project A, there are 4 phases & their task respectively. Phase 1 owned by Manager 1, Phase 2 owned by Manager 2 ,so on.. in same Project A. And every task under all these phases are also assigned to these Managers 1,2, so on. As far as i understand in PWA, all Project Managers can see all phases in same Project A. Is there any way by which we can restrict viewing other phases completely in same project except only those task which has been assigned to them by Manager(Owner) of that phase through RBS or Department groups because all these managers are associated with different different department & theirs Hierarchy also different?

Case 2)  

If all phase are different different from each other but in same Project A & owned by different-different Manager then how building of resources can be done. Is that when Project start @beginning, One Manger should build team for entire Project (for all phases) or is there any option by which Managers @Phase level can build their own team to assign task to resources.

Kindly suggest your feedback on this. It is more complex situation for me to resolve this.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The project server security model is not that granular to restrict access to tasks within a project schedule. What might work but would be very painful to set up and administer is creating Project views in PWA that filters for the Phase or Status Manager - all tasks tagged with that phase or Status Manager, views required for all phases or Status Managers then restrict the views based on the security category. To be honest I wouldn't even go down that route as it probably is not workable!

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:38 AM
  • So, is there any possibility to create such granular security in PWA by Phase Column or something?

If so, then how we can achieve this as i need to build this in PWA for my organization.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:43 AM
  • As Paul said, you cannot have such a granular security model.

Your only solution would be to manage it in PWA through categories:

• Create a task custom field for the phases and set it with the right value in the project plan,
    • Create views filtered on this custom field (ie view phase1, view phase 2...),
    • Create categories that are allowed to see only a specific phase view.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:51 AM
  • If i understood correctly, i have to create new custom Phase wise category for all these Phase & assign resources in those Custom created Phase Category.

But if Manager 1 mapped in Custome Phase 1 Category then how i can assign resources (Prjoect Managers) Project wise in PWA 2013?

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:02 AM
  • If a resource (Project Manager) has to see the entire project, just assign him to the default "project manager" group. Note that you assign users to groups and not categories. Thus you have to create for each phase a duo group/category.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:23 PM