SSIS Import and Export Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, fairly New at SSIS, I was trying to use a Import and Export Wizard to connect to a "Microsoft SQL Server Query File". Not exactly sure which Data Source to use with the "SQL Sever Import and Export Wizard".

Could someone please be so kind to provide my steps into how to connect/use a "Microsoft SQL Server Query File" within a "SQL Sever Import and Export Wizard".

Many thanks

JC

Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:43 PM

Answers

• JC,

SQL Server Import and Export wizard is a tool for transferring data from a source to destination. Sources like SQL Server, Flat files, MS Access, and basically any data repository. Query files are not data repositories, and can not be used as data source. What you should do is, in the "Choose Destination" page of Import and Export wizard select SQL Server Native client 10.0 as destination, and the database to which you want to insert data. Then in the "Specify Table Copy or Query" page, select "Write a Query to specify the data to transfer" and click next. in the next page, simply copy the SQL script you have in your Query File, and paste it in the SQL Statement pane. You can even parse your query to check if there is any problem with the syntax.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

http://thebipalace.wordpress.com/
    • Proposed as answer by SaeedB Friday, January 28, 2011 5:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:27 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 3:36 AM

All replies

• JC,

SQL Server Import and Export wizard is a tool for transferring data from a source to destination. Sources like SQL Server, Flat files, MS Access, and basically any data repository. Query files are not data repositories, and can not be used as data source. What you should do is, in the "Choose Destination" page of Import and Export wizard select SQL Server Native client 10.0 as destination, and the database to which you want to insert data. Then in the "Specify Table Copy or Query" page, select "Write a Query to specify the data to transfer" and click next. in the next page, simply copy the SQL script you have in your Query File, and paste it in the SQL Statement pane. You can even parse your query to check if there is any problem with the syntax.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

http://thebipalace.wordpress.com/
    • Proposed as answer by SaeedB Friday, January 28, 2011 5:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:27 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Hi Saeedss,

thanks for your reply, Ill try it out.

Thanks again,

Jc

Friday, January 28, 2011 4:45 AM