none
How to Migrate Outlook 2007 Addin to Outlook 2013 Addin RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a VSTO Addin that I created in Visual Studio 2010 using the Outlook 2007 project template.  It uses .NET 4.0.   I'm told that it doesn't install and/or run properly on clients with Outlook 2013.  I think I read somewhere that it may be related to my addin creating a CommandBar which isn't supported in 2013, but I'll have to research further.  In any case, if I need to do some work to make my addin compatible, then I also want to take this opportunity to reference the newer Outlook 2013 API since it has some extra functionality I want that is missing in the 2007 PIA.

So how would I migrate this Outlook 2007 project to Outlook 2013 to use the newer 2013 API/PIA?  Can Visual Studio 2013 upgrade my Outlook 2007 project to 2013, or do I need to create a new empty Outlook 2013 project and transfer my code and shared class libraries myself?  Will this new Outlook 2013 solution run on Outlook 2007 & 2010 as long as I don't use features of OOM exclusive to Outlook 2013?
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Office 2013 can’t run the solution that is developed using Visual Studio 2010 target the Office 2007. You can get more detail from article below:

Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office

We can use Visual Studio 2013 to upgrade the Office solution automatically. After you upgrading the project, it will work just as it did in earlier versions of Visual Studio.

And the solution can works well in Office 2007, Office 2010 and Office 2013. Note, the solution will run without errors in the 2007 Microsoft Office system only if it does not use features that are new in Office 2010.refer to Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office Visual Studio 2013.

And you can get more detail from link below about upgrade Office solution:
    Upgrading and Migrating Office Solutions

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:53 AM