Cortana only says "i didn't get that" RRS feed

• Question

• when i launch cortana to listen - using the microphone button or long press on search, it says 'listening..' at the bottom, but wont accept anything i say. Always replies with "I didn't get that". I tried with the microphone, headset and bluetooth. Just to see if it is not actually getting anything, I tried being silent when it says 'listening...' and it actually just exits cortana silently in this case. so only when i say something does it say 'i didnt get it'...it doesnt even act like its trying to process what i am saying.

anybody else have this problem? Its on a US ATT 920

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:49 PM

Answers

• I am able to fix this, not sure how it is correlated though. I was running into exact same issue on Nokia 520. Immediately after installing Cortana, it worked like a charm but next day on-wards it will just say annoying message 'Sorry I didn't catch that'. I restarted many a times, played around with wi-fi/Data/Bluetooth setting, did a hard reset but no luck.

Finally, I went to Bing.com and logged into the account that is registered with my phone, then went to settings (link below)

http://www.bing.com/account/general

And cleared all personalizations (under Personalization tab) which is used by Cortana. And viola! Suddenly everything started working again!

• Marked as answer by suppandi Friday, April 25, 2014 9:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:00 AM

All replies

• Up to now, I have not had this issue. Must be that specific device.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Hello Suppandi,
    Thank you for letting us know what you are experiencing.  Cortana is currently available as a “beta,” and then will launch in the US, the U.K. and China in the second half of 2014 with other countries to follow afterwards into 2015.

To help us further with the question you raised, please let us know:

• What is the OS version under settings> about> more info
    • Data connection - cellular or Wi-Fi?
    • What did you ask of Cortana, what was the interpretation, what was the result?
    • What region do you live?

Thank you,
    Eli A.

Windows Phone Support - Tech Lead

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:03 PM
  • Hi Eli, Thanks for getting back..

nokia 920 running at 8.10.12359.845 - firmware 3051.40000.1347.1001.

it is a US based AT&T device set to english US - i live on the eastern us

I have tried it on both 4g and wifi and had the same result.

Any question i ask, it just says 'listening...' and then 'i didnt get that'...i dont think its my accent because if i turn off cortana and get to bing, bing understands everything. I have had no trouble getting my wife's phone to understand me. there 'thinking...' changes to what i am saying as i say it.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Hey I have same error too... using Lumia 925 like microphone not working but I don't have any problem with my microphone
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:53 AM
  • Hey I have same error too... using Lumia 925 like microphone not working but I don't have any problem with my microphone
    Same issue. Cortana worked fine for a day and now it just says... "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that". Seems like it can't listen to microphone at all. 
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:22 AM

Same issue. Cortana worked fine for a day and now it just says... "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that". Seems like it can't listen to microphone at all. 

My advice, like in other posts, is to check if the mic works with other apps like messaging, skype, or video recording.

If not, hard reset.

If it still doesn't work, flash your phone with a stock WP8 ROM.

If not, welcome to the club of broken mics :(

Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:34 AM
  • My advice, like in other posts, is to check if the mic works with other apps like messaging, skype, or video recording.

If not, hard reset.

If it still doesn't work, flash your phone with a stock WP8 ROM.

If not, welcome to the club of broken mics :(

:) tried all of those...mic works everywhere but cortana. hard reset did nothing to help. 

Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:17 PM
  • I am able to fix this, not sure how it is correlated though. I was running into exact same issue on Nokia 520. Immediately after installing Cortana, it worked like a charm but next day on-wards it will just say annoying message 'Sorry I didn't catch that'. I restarted many a times, played around with wi-fi/Data/Bluetooth setting, did a hard reset but no luck.

Finally, I went to Bing.com and logged into the account that is registered with my phone, then went to settings (link below)

http://www.bing.com/account/general

And cleared all personalizations (under Personalization tab) which is used by Cortana. And viola! Suddenly everything started working again!

• Marked as answer by suppandi Friday, April 25, 2014 9:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:00 AM
  • I am on the general page. Where is Personalized' tab?

sorry for the noobish question

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:01 AM
  • dude u r a rockstar :D

Cortana working now for me too :D

thanks thanks thanks :D

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:15 AM
  • Glad it helped! :)
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:27 PM
  • okay. This is insane. Cortana has stopped talking again . This is really frustrating. This time clearing history even didn't help. What is the issue with Cortana? :( My microphone looks good. Google can get my voice. Why not Cortana? :'(

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:28 AM
  • okay. I think I have something more on this. Outside US, the server issues are being faced. After every 6 or 7 hours, am able to use Cortana if I delete stored data, via Personalized tab in general Bing settings.

that's still soothing :D

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:31 AM
  • Among other attempts, I had also tried turning location and cortana off followed by a soft-reset. Cortana reinitialized, but the issue was still persisting. Mithya's is the only suggestion short of a hard-reset that worked for me. So, thanks! :) I wonder what the deal was with my personalized data though. Oh, well.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:21 AM
  • try http://www.bing.com/account/general?mkt=en-us
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:22 AM
  • Same problem here, When I try to put someone on speaker phone or even try to run soundhound or shazam, none work. to me I think the mic is disable. I am not sure how to fix this. Other than that I have no problems with 8.1 it's perfect. All was working properly before the upgrade to 8.1. It's no big deal I can wait for the official 8.1 update.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:35 PM
  • I was having the same issue w/ my Lumia 925. I went to the Bing website like you suggested, cleared all my personal settings and restarted the phone...and BOOM! She works again! Thanks!!
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:43 PM