cab file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I need to know what is the limitation of size of cab file?and instead of cab file how can i create an single .exe file which will contain all the dlls and resources.

Regds
    Deep
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Deep Prash,

I am not sure but we can assume, 2 GB - maximum size of the cab file.

see more information

1) Thread

Hope this may be help

Pavan Pareta | If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer.
    • Proposed as answer by WmDev Friday, August 14, 2009 7:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deep Prash Friday, August 14, 2009 9:24 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Thanks Malleswar and Wmdev,
    can i simply copy and run cab file on device using ActiveSync and i need to know how cab file can be created?
    Earlier i ahd tried to do but was getting error when i tried to run so need to know how to create a cab file.

Regds
    Deep

Hi Deep,

How to create CAB file for Windows Mobile for how to build cab file follow the below steps:

1) In working Project -> go to Solution Explorer and Right Click on Solution Project Name -> Add -> New Project Click on it, then Opened a Add New Project Window and Project Type Section Click on Setup - Development -> Select Smart Device Cab Project and Save it your own desire Name of Project -> and click on OK Button.

2) After add "Select Smart Device Cab Project" then go to Solution Explorer and right click on your CAB Project -> Add -> Project Output... and click on it then Project Output Group and Select "Primary output" and click on OK Button.

3) Now go to Solution Explorer and right click on your CAB Project and Click on Build

4) After successfully "Build" project then you go to your Project saved path location and check in your "\SmartDeviceCab1\Debug \" folder you are able to view your's Project CAB File.

5) Now you can Connect you Device to your PC and Open it and Copy and past CAB File on specific path location in your device and now put your device and go to path location on your device and single click on the CAB File now it will automatically installing on your Device.

For More information with example see here

Hope this may be help.

• Proposed as answer by WmDev Friday, August 14, 2009 9:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deep Prash Monday, August 17, 2009 10:48 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:54 AM
  • Hi Deepti,

There is no standard size for the CAB files. But when you include your all dependencies, naturally it may increase your CAB files size. For example if you included many images, sounds, private dlls, Compact framework, SQL ce,... obviously it goes high. So dont worry about the CAB file size. But you need to take care if you did not use any of the above and still its coming upto 12 MB. Becuase with out dependencies, its really little bigger size.

Coming to uninstallation:

Start --> program files --> settings --> System (tab) --> Remove programs --> select your application from the list --> Remove

Regards,
    Malleswar
    • Marked as answer by Deep Prash Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:40 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Hi Deep,

what kind of customization you need for your application?

Coming to automatic installation, If you copy the CAB file to emulator or device and click on it, it automatically installs the your application on the emulator or device.

Creating the setup(CAB or Desktop installer) file is same for all projects(VB or C#). So you can proceed with that link.

You can also refer this link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx

Regards,
    Malleswar

• Marked as answer by Deep Prash Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:04 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Deep,

There is no limitation for CAB size. but you need to look on memory size of the mobiles.  Even your cab can contain all depedencies.

Coming to exe,  that is desktop installer which can be installed from your desktop. You desktop installer also contains the cabs and also dependencies.

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:39 AM
  • Hi Deep Prash,

I am not sure but we can assume, 2 GB - maximum size of the cab file.

see more information

1) Thread

Hope this may be help

• Proposed as answer by WmDev Friday, August 14, 2009 7:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deep Prash Friday, August 14, 2009 9:24 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:46 AM
    can i simply copy and run cab file on device using ActiveSync and i need to know how cab file can be created?
    Earlier i ahd tried to do but was getting error when i tried to run so need to know how to create a cab file.

Regds
    Deep
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Hi Deep,

On some devices, you may not get the required Compact framework version. So in your application prerequisites you can mention CF version. so that users can install that.

or

you can make a multi cab which installs your application dependencies and you application exe as well. you can check discussion here regarding multi cab.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxcompact/thread/8907441e-b5ab-4373-96cd-f031eda190e3

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:39 AM

Regds
    Deep

Hi Deep,

How to create CAB file for Windows Mobile for how to build cab file follow the below steps:

1) In working Project -> go to Solution Explorer and Right Click on Solution Project Name -> Add -> New Project Click on it, then Opened a Add New Project Window and Project Type Section Click on Setup - Development -> Select Smart Device Cab Project and Save it your own desire Name of Project -> and click on OK Button.

2) After add "Select Smart Device Cab Project" then go to Solution Explorer and right click on your CAB Project -> Add -> Project Output... and click on it then Project Output Group and Select "Primary output" and click on OK Button.

3) Now go to Solution Explorer and right click on your CAB Project and Click on Build

4) After successfully "Build" project then you go to your Project saved path location and check in your "\SmartDeviceCab1\Debug \" folder you are able to view your's Project CAB File.

5) Now you can Connect you Device to your PC and Open it and Copy and past CAB File on specific path location in your device and now put your device and go to path location on your device and single click on the CAB File now it will automatically installing on your Device.

For More information with example see here

Hope this may be help.

• Proposed as answer by WmDev Friday, August 14, 2009 9:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deep Prash Monday, August 17, 2009 10:48 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:54 AM
  • Thanks pavan,
    It was really helpful.
    Thanks a lot.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 10:48 AM
  • Hi,
    still i would like to know if my applications size is bigger then it is supposed to be.
    So can you guys tell me till now from your experience what could be the standard size of application as my app got 12 MB in size.And as i cant reveal about my app so i can understand that even you guys can not make out if my apps size is bigger.
    So need rough idea.

And how can i uninstall it after installing if any changes was made in app?

Regds
    Deepti
    Monday, August 17, 2009 11:03 AM
  • Hi Deepti,

There is no standard size for the CAB files. But when you include your all dependencies, naturally it may increase your CAB files size. For example if you included many images, sounds, private dlls, Compact framework, SQL ce,... obviously it goes high. So dont worry about the CAB file size. But you need to take care if you did not use any of the above and still its coming upto 12 MB. Becuase with out dependencies, its really little bigger size.

Coming to uninstallation:

Start --> program files --> settings --> System (tab) --> Remove programs --> select your application from the list --> Remove

Regards,
    Malleswar
    • Marked as answer by Deep Prash Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:40 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Thanks Malleswar,
    But i had few queries too as when i create cab file i want to customize it so when user dowloads it,it should start installing automatically plus i want to create a setup file which i got in this link here but its for VB project.Can i get somethng like this in C#?

Regds
    Deep
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:42 AM
  • Hi Deep,

what kind of customization you need for your application?

Coming to automatic installation, If you copy the CAB file to emulator or device and click on it, it automatically installs the your application on the emulator or device.

Creating the setup(CAB or Desktop installer) file is same for all projects(VB or C#). So you can proceed with that link.

You can also refer this link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx

Regards,
    Malleswar

• Marked as answer by Deep Prash Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:04 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Thanks Malleswar,
    I would try to use the same VB code and the link which you have given.
    And would let you know.

Regds
    Deep
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Hi Deep,

Sorry If my words misguided you. You need not to write even single line of code to build simple cab file. Your application might be developed either in VB or C#, finally you will get .exe file.

While you are preparing CAB(Device installer), You will just use primary out put of your application or .exe file. So There is no point of language which you used for your application.

In this link they clearly explained to prepare the CAB file.

Please let me know if you have any doubts or face any problems while preparing this.

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:18 AM