How to replace Windows logo with OEM logo in Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a way to replace the Windows logo that appears when booting a device running Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry. The only official information that I have found is about suppressing the logo instead of replacing it:

"You can suppress Windows 8.1 elements that appear when Industry 8.1 starts or resumes. You can suppress the crash screen when Industry 8.1 encounters an error that it cannot recover from. For more information, see Unbranded Boot."

This is not acceptable for my device. The hardware is not very fast, and suppressing the Windows logo during boot results in long periods of a black screen. I believe that there must be an official way for OEMs to inject their own logo into the startup process, but I cannot find any documentation online that indicates how this would be possible.

We have already modified the BIOS of our device to display a custom image during the BIOS load. Currently the startup process looks like this:

Black->Custom BIOS image->Black->Windows Logo->Black->Login screen

Any information I find about replacing the Windows logo seems to be related to modifying 'bootres.dll', which is unsupported and not a solution that I am comfortable with.

Note: This device uses BIOS and does not (as far as I know) have any UEFI support.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:55 PM

Answers

• There was discussion on how to extend the custom UEFI splash screen, but little detail has been provided. Unfortunately, there is no other method other than hacking files. You either get the Windows logo or you get black.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by ScottF_2015 Monday, April 13, 2015 3:11 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 3:45 PM

All replies

• There was discussion on how to extend the custom UEFI splash screen, but little detail has been provided. Unfortunately, there is no other method other than hacking files. You either get the Windows logo or you get black.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by ScottF_2015 Monday, April 13, 2015 3:11 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 3:45 PM
  • What Sean Liming meant was to embed the logo into the BGRT (Boot Graphics Resource Table). As already mentoined, this works only for systems that support UEFI. Changing the Windows Boot Logo is subject of discussion as far as I can remember.

Some basic information about the boot logo can be found here.

The "how to add embed a logo in the BGRT" is subject of the guys how provide your BIOS - they may have tools for you which enables you to embed your logo by yourself or they embed the logo for you.

Friday, April 10, 2015 9:05 AM
  • Thank you for the info. It's disappointing that there is no real solution, but it helps to know for sure.

We have decided to leave the windows logo in the startup so that users can see something other than just a black screen.
    Monday, April 13, 2015 3:12 PM
  • I forgot - Since you are using WE8.1I, you could remove different elements using the Unbranded Boot / Boot Experience to hide the logo, Hide Status, and just show the indicator (pinning dots).

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:16 AM