none
AddGesture Exception on Published App RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

While doing an XCOPY on post build for the vgbtechs got the directory not found exception to go away for "addGesture" and my app seems to work fine in Visual Studio 2013 Pro debug, it has come back when I publish/package the APP for testing as a WPF desktop in Windows 8.1 as an X64 build and install. I have specified the vbgtechs dlls as "content" in a vgbtechs folder in my project but can't seem to see where I am still going wrong and that it works in visual studio but not as a published APP? I tried installing the Discrete Seated Example from the Kinect V2 samples as a compiled app but it dies silently so I am wondering what I am missing. Anyone else seeing similar?

mzxa

Monday, November 24, 2014 4:56 AM

All replies

• You use the same Post Build XCOPY script to copy the files to your output directory. See the DiscreteGesture sample from the SDK Browser project.

xcopy "$(KINECTSDK20_DIR)Redist\VGB\$(Platform)\vgbtechs" "$(TargetDir)\vgbtechs" /S /R /Y /I

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, November 24, 2014 6:57 PM
  • Hi Carmine,

Thanks for taking the time to reply -- maybe I am misinterpreting your reply but yes, I am doing the XCOPY as you say (xcopy "$(KINECTSDK20_DIR)Redist\VGB\$(Platform)\vgbtechs" "$(TargetDir)\vgbtechs"/F /V  /S /R /Y /I) with additional F and V flags for verbosity and the XCOPY was necessary to get the debug version to go under Visual Studio 2013 Pro. But when I publish it with as a "click once install from CDROM application" and then install on a Windows 8.1, (with the Microsoft V2.0 SDK also installed of course) the published app dies at "addgesture". The Kinect Studio Sample Discrete Seated App compiled with the XCOPY will die silently once it is installed as a published app (the debug version in Visual Studio 2013 works fine). It seems to have something to do with the publishing process. I can't shake the feeling there is a hardcode somewhere in vbgesture that allows it to work under visual studio but not as a self contained published app. I looked at the output package files and there were ".deploy" for the "adaboost" and "rfr" dll's so I am really scratching my head.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:59 AM
  • Ah, you are using "click once", which I don't think is a supported deployment scenario that was tested. Typically the scenario is to create a standalone installer or .zip file which will check for the runtime/drivers and copy the files for your project to a application folder on the system(Program Files/(x86) etc.). As part of the installer it will chain install the runtime redist to ensure the system has the runtime/drivers installed.

I don't know much about Click-Once install, but the deployment requirements for a VGB application will require that, in addition to the .dll/.xml file, is to have a vgbtechs folder side-by-side with the application .exe. Taking a look at the build folder should give you the files you need to deploy to another machine:

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:06 PM
  • Thanks Carmine,

You are correct. The embedded Visual Studio 2013 Publish Wizard does not support the construction of a click once application package for installation. As long as I execute from the build directory directly "addgesture" works correctly so at the moment I will have to have my own installer. On looking at the output files it looks like to me it misses the ".xml" fo VisualGestureBuilder correctly. My french is a little limited so I hope I hit the right vote button as answer in your last reply. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to the issue.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:20 AM