Building an InfoPath style application RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I wonder if somebody might be able to point me in the right direction here. As part of a project that I am working on, there is a requirement to build a custom application similar to the lines of Microsoft InfoPath. Ultimately, the idea is almost identical - to allow users to create Forms that will be uploaded to a web server to capture information without the designer of the form being required to have any programming or web design knowledge.

Does any body have any thoughts on how I could go about doing this in WinForms? I have considered using the in-built MS HTML Editing Component, and forcing it to create XML in a format that I like, however it's very hacky and will become difficult to maintain. It also probably won't allow me to offer context sensitive "Propery" panels, similar to how visual studio does, when you select an element.

I need to have control over how the XML is generated, so I have no qualms with getting down and dirty with a control and changing its code, but I have no idea of any components where I could even start with this. Incidentally, it doesn't *need* to be XML that's generated by it - HTML with some custom tags here and there would do the trick just as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Paul.
    • Changed type Aland Li Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:14 AM No reply
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi ptarling,

Could you provide more information about the user interface you want to design? It is better if you could provide some pictures of the InfoPath to let me know what style you want the UI to be in.

You can take a look at this thread in which we talked about how to design an UI like outlook:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winforms/thread/6bf39e07-46e2-4034-bea7-b0d6c68bf944

Regards,
    Aland Li

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

We are changing the issue type to “General Discussion” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by opening the Options list at the top of the post window, and changing the type. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Aland Li

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:13 AM