Lightswitch 2013 - Print screen - Table RRS feed

• Question

• Good news.  My Lightswitch application is working better than I ever expected.  As long as I view and edit my Azure SQL database on my laptop, iPad, or smart phone, everything works well.

Now I have added some screens that use a TABLE instead of tiles.  On desktop, looks good.  However, what should be a simple matter, printing the screen, doesn't work.  It doesn't print what I see on the laptop computer display (normal full screen size).  

1. A right click on the screen display, and then print, gives me a list of fields and their values going down the left side of the screen (looks like what I see on a narrow smart phone).  Only gives me about 2.5 records per page 

2. Selecting the fields on the screen display and doing a right click, then print, gives me rows with the name of each field on one line in Bold and then the value of each field (only the first few characters) underneath. Only gives me about 11 records per page and only uses the left side of the printed page.

I had read that Lightswitch didn't handle printing very well, but I sure thought I could print what I saw on the computer display.

OK, what's my best (and easiest for a rookie to understand) exact fix for this problem so I can print what I see?

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:09 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply.  I just discovered the SOLUTION by trial and error.  My View Screen with a Table displays on my laptop just fine.  When I right clicked on the laptop and selected Print, the printer printed out the field names above every record on the left two thirds of the page:

FIRST         LAST              ADDRESS                CITY            STATE            ZIP

NAME         NAME

John           Doe               123 Main St            Orlando          FL                 12345

FIRST         LAST              ADDRESS                CITY              STATE            ZIP

NAME         NAME

Mary          Smith             456 Elm St       Miami            FL                 12345

etc.

My SOLUTION:  When I switched my printer default to LANDSCAPE mode, everything printed out correctly and centered on the page:

FIRST NAME    LAST NAME        ADDRESS               CITY           STATE          ZIP

John                Doe                   123 Main St           Orlando       FL               12345

Mary               Smith                 456 Elm St            Miami          FL               12345

etc.

I do not know why changing from portrait to landscape mode on the printer makes things work, but IT JUST WORKS!

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:23 AM

All replies

• Can you show the screenshot of this problem? I will understand it very well.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 1:23 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I just discovered the SOLUTION by trial and error.  My View Screen with a Table displays on my laptop just fine.  When I right clicked on the laptop and selected Print, the printer printed out the field names above every record on the left two thirds of the page:

FIRST         LAST              ADDRESS                CITY            STATE            ZIP

NAME         NAME

John           Doe               123 Main St            Orlando          FL                 12345

FIRST         LAST              ADDRESS                CITY              STATE            ZIP

NAME         NAME

Mary          Smith             456 Elm St       Miami            FL                 12345

etc.

My SOLUTION:  When I switched my printer default to LANDSCAPE mode, everything printed out correctly and centered on the page:

FIRST NAME    LAST NAME        ADDRESS               CITY           STATE          ZIP

John                Doe                   123 Main St           Orlando       FL               12345

Mary               Smith                 456 Elm St            Miami          FL               12345

etc.

I do not know why changing from portrait to landscape mode on the printer makes things work, but IT JUST WORKS!

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:23 AM