Invoke completed Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone help me out to find the solution to invoke the completed workflow instance?

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:22 PM

Answers

• I am pretty sure you can't resurrect a completed instance.

You might want to make your workflow a StateMachine and after you have exhausted all your retries, go to a state that has two transitions - one to go back to the beginning and one to give up and complete the workflow. You would need to define the triggers and conditions for those transitions appropriately.

So an instance that exceeds its retries would "park" in this "RetriesExceeded" state, waiting for some external stimulus to go back and try again or give up and complete.

Jim

• Marked as answer by Pengzhen Song Tuesday, September 2, 2014 5:28 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:44 PM

All replies

• Thanks for your question.

Can you please elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish by invoking a completed workflow instance?

Jim

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:47 PM
  • I have an Persisted Workflow running where I am having 3 steps of process with an sequential flow, next step will be followed based on the results of the previous one. I also have the retry mechanism with specified time interval and number of tries for the workflows if there is an failure at any step. The logic being said I have an scenario where i have exhausted maximum number of tries and i want invoke the same instance of the workflow (which is completed) from the SQL server (sqlWorkflowInstanceStore)

Hope you could have got my point :)

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:23 PM
  • I am pretty sure you can't resurrect a completed instance.

You might want to make your workflow a StateMachine and after you have exhausted all your retries, go to a state that has two transitions - one to go back to the beginning and one to give up and complete the workflow. You would need to define the triggers and conditions for those transitions appropriately.

So an instance that exceeds its retries would "park" in this "RetriesExceeded" state, waiting for some external stimulus to go back and try again or give up and complete.

Jim

• Marked as answer by Pengzhen Song Tuesday, September 2, 2014 5:28 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:44 PM
  • Jim, Thanks for your response. Let me give a try and get back to you if i have any question.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:03 PM