Validation canceled

Question

• Since a couple of hours (event after reboot) I can no longer run the validation after package build.

It just says "Validation canceled". Frustrating.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:47 AM

Answers

• Uhmmm guys... the reason is now clear: The c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\App Certification Kit\appcert.exe is 0 bytes. How could that happen!?

My colleagues had Win8 freezes daily but then the open files were filled with "0x00" and the filesize remained untouched. I never had a system freeze though. Is there an event in the log I could check when or why that happened?

• Marked as answer by phil_ke Friday, June 22, 2012 1:31 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 1:26 PM

All replies

• How did you get to the point where you see "Validation canceled"?
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:22 PM
  • I create a package from my app and at the end the wizard offers me to run the app verifier. I click it, the wizard closes and said error dialog appears instantly.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:28 PM
  • Are you using the Consumer Preview build? Do you have a screenshot of the dialog?
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Release Preview, will submit a screenshot later.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:40 PM
  • Can you also try to launch the AppCert kit directly and see if that works? The appcert kit is located under \Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\App Certification Kit\appcert.exe. Instructions on how to run the kit is located here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694081.aspx
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:46 PM
  • I tried this. It does not work. I specified the apps full name but just nothing happened. Run it from an admin prompt though.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:51 PM
  • Does appcert.exe just hang indefinitely, fail with some message, or something else? Can you paste in the console output? In the meantime, I'll direct this to our appcert experts as this appears to be an appcert issue.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:55 PM
  • Hi Phil,

Can you delete all the files in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppCertKit and try again?

Thanks,
    Salil

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:58 PM
  • @Candy: It does not hang it just does nothing. The process is quickly created and terminated. In an non-elevated prompt another cmd windows does not even open sometimes. In an elevated prompt nothing happens at all. No error message, nothing.

@SalilB: Tried that too, changed nothing (except for cleaning up 1GB of wasted space :)

Is there an Event I should check in the event logs?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:00 AM
  • Uhmmm guys... the reason is now clear: The c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\App Certification Kit\appcert.exe is 0 bytes. How could that happen!?

My colleagues had Win8 freezes daily but then the open files were filled with "0x00" and the filesize remained untouched. I never had a system freeze though. Is there an event in the log I could check when or why that happened?

• Marked as answer by phil_ke Friday, June 22, 2012 1:31 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 1:26 PM
  • You can scan the system event log to see if anything stands out and why the file got trashed. But this very odd and I have never seen that happen before. The only option I can think of is re-installing the modernSDK.

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:52 PM
  • Can you confirm whether this issue is now resolved? We have a Connect bug (ID 750084) tracking this same issue and want to know if this is still an issue?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:52 PM
  • Yes Candy, this has been resolved. The .exe file was missing. The error message is misleading though. Nothing was cancelled. The process could not even be started.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:04 PM
  • My understanding is that the exe is present but for some reason it's corrupted (0 byte). If the exe was missing, VS would have thrown a different error message. If you can let me know how you got to the state of the corrupted exe, I'd be happy to discuss further.

Since the original issue is now resolved, I'm going to close the Connect bug. Feel free to reactivate if you hit the issue again.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Right, the exe was corrupted. How it happened I have no idea. It might have been a crash during validation. Colleagues have data corruption with the current RP when using VS.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:17 PM
  • I'm curious what type of data corruption your colleagues are experiencing with VS. Can you get more data from them and let me know?

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:56 PM