Solution Scoping RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a consulting company we are working with who installed a solution that was specifically scoped to install at one web application. The problem is all the other web applications and subsequent Site collections under those web applications are showing features that are a result of the custom solution.

My question is: should this be happening? my gut stance is no, that if a solution is scoped to one web application, that all features are contained within that web application and do not subsequently leak to other web apps. My feeling is bad solution

Thank you in advance for any replies.

SharePoint Solution Architect | MCTS
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hello Dan, I think I may have found the answer after some quick research. I was in a bit of a panic mode after seeing this and knowing, feeling that something was awry in SharePoint land.

So it would appear that by default if a solution is installed and scoped to a partuclar web application, that unless Safe Controls are added in the manifest.xml file that explicitly prevent certain actions, that features will be deployed globally.

In other words, if solutions are deployed without this consideration, this could be construed as not good packaging pracitces.

• Proposed as answer by Shimin Huang Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Friday, July 29, 2011 4:02 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:45 AM

All replies

• In central admin, is it deployed to more than one web application?
    -Dan Keeling Blog (http://dankeeling.blogspot.com/) or Follow me on Twitter @DanKeeling
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Hello Dan thank you for your reply, no it is only scoped at one web application however the features and templates contained from this custom solution are available in all site collections for all the other web applications.

The scope of this custom solution is supposed to be only one web app, however it appears to be deployed globally.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Hello Dan, I think I may have found the answer after some quick research. I was in a bit of a panic mode after seeing this and knowing, feeling that something was awry in SharePoint land.

So it would appear that by default if a solution is installed and scoped to a partuclar web application, that unless Safe Controls are added in the manifest.xml file that explicitly prevent certain actions, that features will be deployed globally.

In other words, if solutions are deployed without this consideration, this could be construed as not good packaging pracitces.

• Proposed as answer by Shimin Huang Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Friday, July 29, 2011 4:02 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:45 AM