.vbproj is not supported by this version of Visual Studio

Question

• I have Visual Studio 2008.

When i try to create a new VB project (.exe or .dll - doesn't matter) or try to open an existing one, I receive the following error:

"C:\Documents and Settings\.....\WindowsApplication1.vbproj" cannot be opened because its project type (.vbproj) is not supported by this version of Visual Studio.

To open it, please use a version that supports this type of project.

I tried un-installing Visual Studio and then re-installing again - same result.

It was working fine in the beginning. Between the last time it worked and the first time it didn't - I installed some Oracle tools, not sure if that affected anything. What's interesting - the problem is only with VB projects, C# projects can be created and opened.

I've seen several similar thread, where people have been having this issue with VB Express edition, but no resolutions have been posted there.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:35 PM

Answers

• Jane Smith,

Based on your post, the Visual Studio 2008 cannot create or open the vbproj files. I would like to provide you the the comments as follows:

1. If you cannot create the VB projects, please make sure the VB Project templates as the product is installed successfully. Firstly, you can check from the menu "Help->About Microsoft Visual Studio" to see the installed products. The following texts shows the related information on my local machine:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5

Installed Edition: Enterprise Microsoft Visual Basic 2008   91899-270-2513325-60312

Secondly, project templates work in conjunction with application frameworks and libraries to create starter programs for you. You can get the further info on which Visual Basic project templates are available in the different editions of Visual Studio in the article Visual Basic Editions 

2. If you cannot open the VB projects, it also related to the VB project templates. Sometimes, the version problems can cause the problem, too. For example, the Visual Studio 2005 cannot open and even recognize the projects created in VS 2008. Since you are using VS 2008, please make clear of the VB projects target .NET Framework versions and the available templates mentioned above.

3. If there is any further problem, please feel free to reply with the specific information on the Windows, Visual Studio and .NET Framework versions.

Good luck.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 5:32 AM

All replies

• Jane Smith,

Based on your post, the Visual Studio 2008 cannot create or open the vbproj files. I would like to provide you the the comments as follows:

1. If you cannot create the VB projects, please make sure the VB Project templates as the product is installed successfully. Firstly, you can check from the menu "Help->About Microsoft Visual Studio" to see the installed products. The following texts shows the related information on my local machine:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5

Installed Edition: Enterprise Microsoft Visual Basic 2008   91899-270-2513325-60312

Secondly, project templates work in conjunction with application frameworks and libraries to create starter programs for you. You can get the further info on which Visual Basic project templates are available in the different editions of Visual Studio in the article Visual Basic Editions 

2. If you cannot open the VB projects, it also related to the VB project templates. Sometimes, the version problems can cause the problem, too. For example, the Visual Studio 2005 cannot open and even recognize the projects created in VS 2008. Since you are using VS 2008, please make clear of the VB projects target .NET Framework versions and the available templates mentioned above.

3. If there is any further problem, please feel free to reply with the specific information on the Windows, Visual Studio and .NET Framework versions.

Good luck.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 5:32 AM
  • Bruno, thanks for your reply.

On #1 step you listed: I don't see Visual Basic in the list of installed products in the "About" box!!! I guess, that's a problem.

On the other hand, when I click on File -> New Project, i get a "New Project" dialog box, where in the left part of the dialog under "Project  types" Visual Basic comes first. When i click on the items under Visual Basic (Windows, Web, etc.) I see a list of templates on the right side of the dialog box, under "Visual Studio installed templates".

Prior to starting this thread, I uninstalled and then reinstalled Visual Studio. Then I removed Visual Basic and ran another installation to add Visual Basic back in. In all the cases, I did not receive any errors during installation.

How could I get it installed? I appreciate your help.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Jane Smith,

This problem is weird and difficult to reproduce during the Visual Studio installation. You may need to read the installation log files produced by the Visual Studio setup file. For expert support, I suggest you to post this question and related log file information on Visual Studio Setup and Installation forum.

Thanks again for your question.

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:28 AM
  • For what its worth I am getting exactly the same problem as Jane Smith.

I go File -> New Project -> Windows Forms Application and get the following error message :-

'C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Foong\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\WindowsApplication1\WindowsApplication1.vproj' cannot be opened because its project type (.vbproj) is not supported by this version of Visual Studio.

To open it, please use a version that supports this type of product.

I checked and I dont even have the folder .. \Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\... etc mentioned above.

I too reinstalled the software to no avail.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 6:19 AM
  • I have the same problem as well, I do not have the folder same Kevinf7
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 5:13 PM
  • You should try to update you web project support from the following link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8B05EE00-9554-4733-8725-3CA89DD9BFCA&displaylang=en

• Proposed as answer by anwarzee Friday, March 13, 2009 7:37 PM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 7:36 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem - I've been using Visual Studio 2008 for over a year, and never had this type of problem.  Now, when I attempt to open or create a visual basic application, I get the same error message.  The help > about box does not show VB is installed, yet I did complete uninstall / reinstall today (full, complete setup).  The setup created the appropriate folders and it appears as though everything is where it should be.  Perhaps this is a registry problem?  Whatever it is, it has cost two days work so far, and my boss is not any happier than I am about it. 

Has anyone figured out what causes this problem and more importantly, how to fix it?!

Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:57 PM
  • At long last, I finally found the solution to the problem that I was having (but what caused it is still a mystery).  I figured I would post the solution that worked for me so that it may help others facing the same issue I did.

After re-installing VS 2008, and making sure to select 'Full Install', I still had no Visual Basic in the application's 'About' dialog window.  What finally fixed this for me was starting Visual Studio (devenv.exe) using a couple of arguments:

devenv /setup    <-- this ran for me without a GUI, so I used Task Manager to monitor it's progress.  Once it consumed ~85 MB of memory, it exited

Next...

devenv /ResetSkippkgs    <-- this ran with the GUI

At this point, I closed Visual Studio and re-opened it, and viola!  Full Visual Basic project support was restored.  (Whew!!)

I hope this save others at least as much time as I lost trying to find the solution.  ;-)

L

• Proposed as answer by TG-LLLL Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:58 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Thank you very much for your great posting, longlivebytor. Your solution fixed my problem.

Friday, September 4, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Thank you so much for this solution!! Worked perfectly. :)
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:06 PM
  • longlivebytor.

Thank you so much for the solution. Your solution worked yesterday and I accidently closed the thread without expressing my gratitudes. I has the same issue today and searching again led me to this thread and your solution worked like charm.

I tried "resetSkipPkgs" without "setup" but it did not worked. Only the sequence of these two steps worked for me.

Thanks a ton.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:57 PM

• I am using Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition.
    Information in About says :

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
    Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 91909-152-0000052-60634

And the errors that i am getting are same but clicking ok for first give the second .

1. vbproj cannot be opened because its project type (.vbproj) is not supported by this version of Visual Studio
    2. csproj cannot be opened because its project type (.csproj) is not supported by this version of Visual Studio

Could you please elaborate on solution given by you : devenv /setup and devenv /ResetSkippkgs .

How to run these commands ?

with regards
    Ankur
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:28 AM
  • At long last, I finally found the solution to the problem that I was having (but what caused it is still a mystery).  I figured I would post the solution that worked for me so that it may help others facing the same issue I did.

After re-installing VS 2008, and making sure to select 'Full Install', I still had no Visual Basic in the application's 'About' dialog window.  What finally fixed this for me was starting Visual Studio (devenv.exe) using a couple of arguments:

devenv /setup    <-- this ran for me without a GUI, so I used Task Manager to monitor it's progress.  Once it consumed ~85 MB of memory, it exited

Next...

devenv /ResetSkippkgs    <-- this ran with the GUI

At this point, I closed Visual Studio and re-opened it, and viola!  Full Visual Basic project support was restored.  (Whew!!)

I hope this save others at least as much time as I lost trying to find the solution.  ;-)

L

Nice Help. Thank you so much for posting it.  It solved my problem.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Thanks!!! I had the same problem after uninstalling the Coderush add-in, and this solve my problem.
    • Proposed as answer by Ron_Sun Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:35 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Same problem in VB 2008 Express.
    But VB express have no DEVENV

Sollution:
    C:\Program\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE>vbexpress.exe /ResetSkippkgs

Hope it help Express users

/Ron

Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:39 PM
  • I use VB 2008 Express, and your solution works fine for me.
    Thanks
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Thank you also from me.  I had the same problem and your solution worked perfectly.
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Thank you for posting this solution.  I too was having the same problem and your answer solved it for me.  Best regards to you, EYoung
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Regarding the fix for this problem when running devenv /setup you must launch the command window in ADMIN mode. (right click->run as admin) otherwise it will not error, but it will not run either.  I think this is why some people are successful with devenv /setup  and others are not.

Phil
    • Proposed as answer by edwardtg Friday, April 29, 2011 2:07 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Este error lo da también cuando tratamos de abrir un proyecto de visual C# en visual Basic.

Friday, April 29, 2011 2:10 PM
  • many many thanks to you

devenv /ResetSkippkgs  this command solv my problem too :)

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Thank you very much.

It works beatifully!

PB

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:36 PM