none
Azure app call WCF web service hosted on intranet RRS feed

• Question

• My company has an application hosted in Azure. The application uses Azure AD.

There are some WCF web services on my company's intranet. 

We want the Azure app call the web services. How to do that?

And is it possible to configure the WCF security to pass client's credential (Azure AD) to WCF service, and then authenticate it against on-premises AD?

Saturday, March 24, 2018 12:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Pierreshiny,

>> We want the Azure app call the web services. How to do that?

Are Azure app and WCF Web Service in the same network? In other words, could you Azure app connect to WCF Service?

If you could, you could generate the client code for Azure app and call WCF Service by client code.

>> is it possible to configure the WCF security to pass client's credential (Azure AD) to WCF service, and then authenticate it against on-premises AD?

No, Azure AD authentication is not supported in WCF security. You may consider adding the Azure AD credential in the request header, and then validate the credential at service side.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Pierreshiny Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:00 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Pierreshiny,

>> We want the Azure app call the web services. How to do that?

Are Azure app and WCF Web Service in the same network? In other words, could you Azure app connect to WCF Service?

If you could, you could generate the client code for Azure app and call WCF Service by client code.

>> is it possible to configure the WCF security to pass client's credential (Azure AD) to WCF service, and then authenticate it against on-premises AD?

No, Azure AD authentication is not supported in WCF security. You may consider adding the Azure AD credential in the request header, and then validate the credential at service side.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Pierreshiny Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:00 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 5:05 AM
  • Hello, Tao

1. What do you mean "Azure app and WCF Web Service in the same network"? 

2. Is there any code sample for "adding the Azure AD credential in the request header, and then validate the credential at service side"?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 2:51 AM
  • Can your Azure app access the Server which hosts Web Service?

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 6:54 AM
  • Thank you! I created the Hybrid Connection between an Azure Web App and the WCF service on my laptop. It's working. I still need to figure out how to secure the WCF service. If you have any sample code, or could direct me to any helpful document, that would be great.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:06 PM
  • Hi Pierreshiny,

>>still need to figure out how to secure the WCF service

For this new issue, I would suggest you post a new thread, and the we could focus on this new issue.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:38 AM