Too many includes cause random errors RRS feed

• Question

• User-1238646430 posted

Hi there,
    after days spent in order to find out what was the cause of random errors appearing on the web site I am managing (freezing the services, that need to be restartd), after migrating the web site from windows server 2000 to windows server 2008 (IIS 7) with no luck at all, I came up that the problem might be the number of included files my 404 handler page has. I use the 404 handler page to manage a portion of the web site, and it contains tens of <!--#include virtual="somefilename"--> tags being controlled by a select case statement.

I googled a bit and I am not the only one experiencing this trouble, but I was not able to find a solution.

Is there anybody out there who can help?

Regards,
    D.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:09 PM

All replies

• User-176674611 posted

Hi,

Could you please tell us what you mean "random error"? Please check the IIS logs to see what error you get for the request.
    You can also use Failed Request Tracing to trace the request. We may find some clues for your problem in the tracing logs.  For more information about using Failed Request Tracing, please refer to:
    Troubleshooting Failed Requests Using Tracing in IIS 7
    http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/266/troubleshooting-failed-requests-using-tracing-in-iis-7/

Thanks.

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:45 AM
  • User-1238646430 posted

Hi Lyodz,
    thank you for your answer.

The random errors I get are mainly "out of memory" error, but also "include not found" etc. I suspect that it is due to the high number of inlcude files I am using: I found some articles on the internet talking about the AspScriptFileCacheSize property, which I thought would have solved the issues. I try changing that value, down to 5, but with no luck...

The random errors often appear when I replace via FTP one of the files being included.

Thanks,
    D.

Monday, November 15, 2010 1:23 PM