Team Working on a LightSwitch project RRS feed

• Question

• It has been some time that my company's R&D have decided to go with LightSwitch. But trying to put things into production line, we have to deal somehow with the fact that the structure of the LightSwitch projects are less than ideal for team work. I have read related threads here in this forum about this same issue and the general idea is that it's going to be dealt, changing the lsml concept making it somehow more modular. The question is if there is a RoadMap for this and v2 in general. it's a quite common question, I know, but the more requests the more clear the need for more product information, current and planned, becomes.

Thanks in advance

1+1 = 3 for large values of 1
    Friday, July 29, 2011 10:44 AM

Answers

• Let's see how far we can go with LS V1 as we work to design V2 architecture, functionality, and features.

We can slice/dice and database LSML and put it all back together again with intelligent utilities.

A simple copy, export, and paste utility would be great.  We all need to reuse layout sections between Screens - especially Modal Windows.

Of course any LSML / T4 utility will require changes with each revision with a clear understanding that MS can change the format and low level classes supporting the format at anytime.

Logically, what is the difference between XAML and LSML?  Developers are encouraged to learn XAML and hand code it - as well as to use/develop utilities (like Blend and VS) to manage it.

LSML does a lot more than XAML as it drives more than the GUI and integrates with T4 generators.  We still have an LSML editor and (at our own risk) edit the file as needed to accellerate our development cycle.  We all understand that we certainly can't come crying to MS if our hacking breaks apps.  We certainly tell non-programmers or newbies NOT to edit the LSML.

I would expect one of the easiest approaches is to initially use a tool like CodeSmith. 

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:50 PM

All replies

• Yup, I'd hope to see it at least split up into separate files for things like "data sources", "entities", "queries" & "screens" etc.

Yann

(plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!)

Friday, July 29, 2011 11:03 AM
  • I have read LS Team is possitive to all these requests for changes turning Lightswitch into something more "developer-oriented" than the original concept, but I believe something more official than good intensions have to be announced the sooner the better. I believe it's going to happen soon.
    1+1 = 3 for large values of 1
    Friday, July 29, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Let's see how far we can go with LS V1 as we work to design V2 architecture, functionality, and features.

We can slice/dice and database LSML and put it all back together again with intelligent utilities.

A simple copy, export, and paste utility would be great.  We all need to reuse layout sections between Screens - especially Modal Windows.

Of course any LSML / T4 utility will require changes with each revision with a clear understanding that MS can change the format and low level classes supporting the format at anytime.

Logically, what is the difference between XAML and LSML?  Developers are encouraged to learn XAML and hand code it - as well as to use/develop utilities (like Blend and VS) to manage it.

LSML does a lot more than XAML as it drives more than the GUI and integrates with T4 generators.  We still have an LSML editor and (at our own risk) edit the file as needed to accellerate our development cycle.  We all understand that we certainly can't come crying to MS if our hacking breaks apps.  We certainly tell non-programmers or newbies NOT to edit the LSML.

I would expect one of the easiest approaches is to initially use a tool like CodeSmith. 

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:50 PM