Check Pre-Requests before installing the MSI RRS feed

• Question

• User430178104 posted

Hi,

How to check the Pre-requests before installing the MSI. If the Pre-requests are not satisfied need to display error and stop installation.

Thank You.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 1:27 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

but most of my clients are still using.NET 2.0. While installing the new MSI I want to check the target machine has.NET 4.5. if not need to throw an alert message. Is it possible?

This will guide you to determine which .NET Framework versions are Installed, more information: Determine Which .NET Framework Versions Are Installed

With regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 3:47 AM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

Most applications have prerequisites: Components such as the .NET Framework runtime must be available on a target computer in order for the application to run. The deployment tools in Visual Studio include the capability to automatically detect the existence of components during installation and install a predetermined set of prerequisites. See: Install Prerequisites in Windows Installer Deployment

Generally we follow this way to install an asp.net application:

• Install Web Deployment MSI.
    • Right Click on the your project under the solution explorer and add the web deployment project
    • Then compile the files. This will create a folder in your project directory which will contain the required files to be deploy on the server.
    • back up of your virtual directory and remove the virtual directory as well as files from inetpub.
    • Goto Inet mgr , type inetmgr in run hit enter.
    • Under the default website, create a virtual directory, keep the deployed files in the inetpub and browser the files.
    • Allow appropriate access such as read, run script and browse.

hope it helps.

with regards,

Angie

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 2:56 AM
  • User430178104 posted

Hi Angie,

Thanks for your response.

Let me explain the what I am looking for.

In my windows application we recently upgraded to .NET 4.5 but most of my clients are still using.NET 2.0. While installing the new MSI I want to check the target machine has.NET 4.5. if not need to throw an alert message. Is it possible?

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 3:33 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

but most of my clients are still using.NET 2.0. While installing the new MSI I want to check the target machine has.NET 4.5. if not need to throw an alert message. Is it possible?

This will guide you to determine which .NET Framework versions are Installed, more information: Determine Which .NET Framework Versions Are Installed

With regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 3:47 AM