What are the differences between Blend 2.0 beta and Blend 2.5 March Preview? RRS feed

• Question

• I was told at the Mix'08 conference that the major difference is the support for Silverlight 2 in Blend 2.5. Does that mean that Blend 2.5 is significantly refactored/redesigned "under the hood" (branched from Blend 2.0), or are they both based on the same code base with the difference that only Blend 2.5 exposes the support for Silverlight 2 in its UI?

I'm asking because we are using Blend 2 in the middle of a large product and can't afford any major setbacks at this point. We have invested a fair amount of time in getting decent designtime support for our UI and it would hurt if we upgraded to one of the new Blend betas only to find that there are breaking issues in the new releases.

Also, if I upgrade to Blend 2.0 Beta I am forced to uninstall Blend 2.0 December Preview. Is it possible to revert this and get back to the December preview if necessary?

Thanks,
    Tor.

Tor Langlo, Koda Software
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The major difference between Blend 2.5 March 2008 Preview and Blend 2 Beta is the support for Silverlight 2. Indeed, this required major infrastructural changes because Blend hosts the Silverlight control to provide an accurate view of your scene so it is possible that this introduced some new bugs in the support for WPF and Silverlight 1 projects.

So. for WPF projects and Silverlight 1.0 projects you should use Expression Blend 2 because it is better tested, has newer fixes and it should more reliable than the March preview version of Blend 2.5. For Silverlight 2 projects, you should use the March preview of Blend 2.5.

Thanks,
    - Adrian

- Adrian Vinca [MSFT]
    Content is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights. Opinions are my own and do not represent those of my employer.
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 8:42 PM