Free D2C message monitor in the cloud RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I want to monitor the simple messages that are being sent from my device to the cloud using a cloud service to demonstrate that the cloud is receiving the messages. It seems that this is the most basic of tasks so ideally it would be implementable using a service with a free tier (like the IoT hub <8000 messages per day). Any free solutions or if not, what would be the most basic/cheap solution for monitoring D2C messages?

Thanks, Caleb

Friday, November 15, 2019 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Caleb,

IoT Hub offers a free tier that is meant for testing and evaluation. It has all the capabilities of the standard tier, but limited messaging allowances. You cannot upgrade from the free tier to either basic or standard. I would suggest you, check the documentation Choose the right IoT Hub tier for your solution and choose the pricing tier according to your scenario/solution.

Friday, November 15, 2019 10:42 AM
  • Hi Caleb,

Have you had a chance to see the above response? Do let us know if you have any queries.

Monday, November 18, 2019 4:55 AM
  • Hi Ashok,

Testing and evaluation is all I'm trying to do. I don't want to upgrade, the service in itself is sufficient except for the ability to monitor D2C messages. So if it can't be done within IoT Hub, then I would like advice on what service could be used.

Kind regards,
    Caleb

Monday, November 18, 2019 11:52 PM
  • Hi Caleb,

Apologies for the delay in response.

You can monitor the D2C messages using Azure IoT Hub Toolkit extension for Visual Studio Code, Device Explorer and Azure CLI IoT Extension.

You can also build a solution to monitor the messages using IoT Service SDK. This helps you design the solution as per your requirements.

Also, please check the blog post on using custom endpoints and Stack Overflow thread to read D2C messages and see it helps.

Let us know if you have any queries.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 12:35 PM