none
HL7 Auditing and Logging : Cannot connect to A&L Service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm using Biztalk 2006 R2 (Dev Edition) with SP1 and cumulative packs installed, on a 32bit W2k3 R2 server (run on ESX).

I'm getting really mad about the A&L Service. For 2 weeks I asked for help about troubles using the HL7 Accelerator (discussion is here ).

Using VS Debugging capabilities, I found out that there were some configuration issues due to installation of SP1 and cumulative update packages 1 to 3, this issue could be solved.

Then all ran very well for some days : I let Biztalk handle hundreds of thousand of messages during some days and all was perfect. Then I stopped the application I was testing and started a new HL7 project.

In the last days I restarted the application, and for now I systematically get an error 8705 : Unable to connect to A&L Service when a 1st message comes in, and then a 8706 : Unable to log .... for each message handled.

Message detail is

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    BizTalk Accelerator for HL7
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    8705
    Date:        24.11.2010
    Time:        14:58:04
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    ServerName
    Description:
    Unable to connect to Auditing and Logging service.

=============

followed by a secondary exception :

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    BizTalk Accelerator for HL7
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    8706
    Date:        24.11.2010
    Time:        14:58:04
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    ServerName
    Description:
    Unable to log message "Unable to connect to Auditing and L..." to the event log due to exception:
    "Remoting configuration failed with the exception 'System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: The channel 'tcp' is already registered.
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.ChannelServices.RegisterChannelInternal(IChannel chnl, Boolean ensureSecurity)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(IChannel chnl, Boolean ensureSecurity)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigHandler.ConfigureChannels(RemotingXmlConfigFileData configData, Boolean ensureSecurity)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigHandler.ConfigureRemoting(RemotingXmlConfigFileData configData, Boolean ensureSecurity)'.".

This time VS doesn't fire any exception that would explain the source problem.

I checked that the user account used by the A&L Service (it's a local admin), that and the service is up and running. I also tried to change some HL7 Configuration (deactivate event logging, use of BTADB, ...) but nothing could this time help me solve this weird issue.

These to related exceptions are described in some other forums, I followed all suggestions but nothing worked for now.

Maybe someone has a good advice to help me solve this one ?

Many thanks in advance

Thomas

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:36 PM

Answers

• Well, this time I think I got it.

If my interpretation is correct, the A&L is OK, and its configuration files too. As I'm on a dev environment, I have only 1 host for all my tests : File/FTP, Oracle-ODBC, SQL, and MLLP. I think that the 'tcp' channel is registered at startup (probably for the oracle-ODBC, through the runtime agent). So when a HL7 msg comes in, the - same - host instance tries to register another 'tcp' channel and the exception gets fired.

I have set up a new host that 'just' handles HL7 messages (FILE or MLLP), and it works great, the Eventlog is now clear. I'll see in the next days if the exception comes again.

Hope this will help someone.

Thomas

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

The component does not uniquely name the Tcp channel.  The default name 'tcp' is used.  Any later attempts to register another channel with the same (default) name results in  a failure.  For the logging service the AuditingLoggingService.config file contains the channel info.

File located at <install directory>/Microsoft Biztalk 2010 Accelerator for HL7/Bin

Thanks,

William

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I checked the config file, the channels didn't define a name, so I added one (name="als"). Then I restarded ALS and the Biztalk Service, and the errors didn't appear no more. Great !

BUT

hl7 messages are not handled by biztalk anymore ! I put some files in a directory, and they stay there, just as when biztalk were down.

Then I removed the new name of the channel : since then the error comes back, but messages are handled, parsed and routed.

More to this. Netstat command shows that a connection on port 4000 exists when I set a name to the channel, but it does'nt when no name is set... Of course I tried to change the port number, but it doesn't solve anything. I also tried to change the rejectRemoteRequest parameter to "false", but nothing changes.

Thomas

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:12 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

At this point, (if possible) I would remove the HL7 Accelerator and its associated database and reinstall it vs attempting to troubleshoot the channel configuration of the Audit and Logging Service.  Hopefully this will clear up the problem.

Thanks,

William

Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Hi William,

That will be the next step, as I've already reinstall SP1 + CUP 3, as well as some KB prior to SP1 that are not included in it.

After this I'll consider opening a call to MS.

Thanks for trying to help.

Thomas

Monday, November 29, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Unfortunately, reinstalling the whole HL7 accelerator didn't solve this strange issue...

Monday, December 20, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Well, this time I think I got it.

If my interpretation is correct, the A&L is OK, and its configuration files too. As I'm on a dev environment, I have only 1 host for all my tests : File/FTP, Oracle-ODBC, SQL, and MLLP. I think that the 'tcp' channel is registered at startup (probably for the oracle-ODBC, through the runtime agent). So when a HL7 msg comes in, the - same - host instance tries to register another 'tcp' channel and the exception gets fired.

I have set up a new host that 'just' handles HL7 messages (FILE or MLLP), and it works great, the Eventlog is now clear. I'll see in the next days if the exception comes again.

Hope this will help someone.

Thomas

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 12:22 PM