none
Virtual Earth vs Bing maps vs Mappoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to display a map in a windows forms VB.NET application. The map also needs to show a pushpin for given latitude/longitude coordinates together with drivers name, vehicle details, date/time of capture etc. (this information is drawn from a database via a web service). The eventual solution would appear similar to a real-time vehicle tracking application.

So I am trying to determine the best solution to use, preferably one that involves no financial cost for the developer. Using the MapPoint Web Service seemed to be the obvious choice as the technology is familiar and the developer account was free. However, I'm having a hard job finding the developer account sign-up link. Is the MapPoint Web Service still available, and if so can you provide the link please?

If, as I suspect, the MapPoint Web Service has been terminated, would you suggest using either Virtual Earth or Bing Maps for use with Windows Forms? I have read in a few places that a WPF Bing Map control must be hosted in a User Control before it can be used, as there is no .Net control. Does this approach impact on the WPF control's performance?

Are developer accounts available for Virtual Earth or Bing Maps Web Services? Where can I find pricing information about subscribing to these web services for my potential customers? So far the information about accounts appears to indicate that as developers we would open the accounts with our details, and would be charged monthly based on our customers use of the web service, which I hope is not the case.

I also have questions about code samples etc. but need to establish which technology to use first.

My apologies if these questions have been asked before, but several hours of searching has not uncovered the answers.

Thanks for your help,

Steve G

Steve G

Monday, July 2, 2012 6:34 PM

Answers

• There is no free way to go. The MapPoint web services are retired. The MapPoint CD product is still around but you need to purchase the software. With Bing Maps you need a license for asset tracking type applications. And Virtual Earth is actual the old name for Bing Maps. All that said the cost of Bing Maps is fairly cheap for asset tracking applications. 

Using the Bing Maps WPF control in a WinForm works fine. You do need to wrap it with a User Control. Here is a blog post on it: http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/using-bing-maps-in-winforms/ I haven't seen any impact to performance using this method.

Developer accounts are available for Bing Maps but asset tracking applications require a license. Contact maplic@microsoft.com for more information on licensing. They will be able to answer your pricing questions as well as the questions around how to resell to your customers. 

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 6:52 AM

All replies

• There is no free way to go. The MapPoint web services are retired. The MapPoint CD product is still around but you need to purchase the software. With Bing Maps you need a license for asset tracking type applications. And Virtual Earth is actual the old name for Bing Maps. All that said the cost of Bing Maps is fairly cheap for asset tracking applications. 

Using the Bing Maps WPF control in a WinForm works fine. You do need to wrap it with a User Control. Here is a blog post on it: http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/using-bing-maps-in-winforms/ I haven't seen any impact to performance using this method.

Developer accounts are available for Bing Maps but asset tracking applications require a license. Contact maplic@microsoft.com for more information on licensing. They will be able to answer your pricing questions as well as the questions around how to resell to your customers. 

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed and definitve reply.

Steve G

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:54 AM