none
Masking out two versions of MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We have 2 versions of Project on our Virtual Desktop, 2013 and 2016.  I have some basic masking rules set up...hiding from the start menu and masking the actual EXE.

However for some reason, one of my users who has 2013, when he opens a file or opens Project 2013, Windows installer tries to start installing something related to Project Standard 2016, and since the 2016 WINPROJ.exe is masked out, it cannot access the file and thus cannot complete...whatever it is...that it is trying to do.

Any idea why it would be trying to kick off an MSIExec for 2016 when trying to open 2013?  And is there some way to get around this in my Application masking?

Thanks
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:49 PM

All replies

• TBH I think you're always going to struggle with this.   I suspect it's nothing to do with the masking or FSLogix, just that with both apps registered in the system, they will compete for file associations etc.   You say your user is trying to open a file, that sounds like the system thinks it should be using 2016, sees that it can't find all the files (because they're masked off), attempts to fix things with an automatic repair and starts throwing errors.

If it were me, and assuming that upgrading all the 2013 users to 2016 isn't an option (which isn't massively expensive, with Office365) then I'd look to split the machines up into two groups, one for each.   It's a bit of effort having to maintain two catalogs of machines just for that, but you could spend a loooooong time trying to fix this.

Friday, November 29, 2019 11:17 PM