Tools for tracking memory leak or memory management mistakes RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a good way (I use VS.NET 2003) to track a memory leak problem. (Or more like a bush league programming error that's consuming all my memory) This one isn't specific to compact framework, but it certainly shows up faster when you do something silly.  I'm going through the code, but I was curious is there's some way to see that I have this growing list of objects that I'm not getting rid of, all with the same name, or something similar but equally as wrong.

for (int i =0; i < 1000; i++)
    {
        MemoryStream myStreamINeverCleanUp = new MemoryStream();
    }

Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi - Here's a pointer to a blog post that shows how to use the .Net CF Remote Performance Monitor to diagnose memory leaks: http://blogs.msdn.com/stevenpr/archive/2007/03/08/finding-managed-memory-leaks-using-the-net-cf-remote-performance-monitor.aspx 

I hope this helps,

Steven

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Hi, Steven;

Can this tool be used for NETCF 1.0 SP1?  I am looking for a tool to check my application which has memory leak problem.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:41 PM
  • No, it cannot. You can run your NETCF V1 application under V2 SP2 to find issues and fix them in V1 application though.

Also consider using at least NETCF V1 SP3 if you can’t upgrade to V2.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:56 PM
  • I downloaded this tool and installed.

But my device is not listed in "Device" dropdown list.  Is there any settings to do?

I use ActiveSync to connect my device and desktop.

Cheers.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:58 PM
  • Thanks.

Upgrade from Sp1 to Sp3 is a big challenge for me because I have about 200 devices all over the country. Sad

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:23 PM