MPI jobs using Azure Batch RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, 

I would like to ask you for clear tutorial or documentation about submitting MPI jobs to Batch service using Azure portal, i already do many search but nothing clear and useful, creating the batch account and the pool of Linux virtual machines is done, but job management is really confusing, all jobs remain active and the virtual machine remains idle, there's nothing in the task "saved output files" and in the "saved logs", "files on node" tab is disabled.

your help is really appreciated hence i use azure in my mater theses ans i am stuck in batch.

Thanks in advance,

Monday, June 26, 2017 11:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We don't have a tutorial that shows how to submit MPI jobs via the portal but we do have a tutorial that shows how to do it via a sample.

Here's the link to the tutorial (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowshpc/2016/07/20/introducing-mpi-support-for-linux-on-azure-batch/ )

The sample code that shows it all is in python. You can find it at (https://github.com/Azure/azure-batch-samples/tree/master/Python/Batch/article_samples/mpi )

Hope this helps.

NG

Monday, June 26, 2017 4:19 PM
  • Thank you 

I'm trying to do this sample since last week but jobs still active and do not turn to completed util it terminate it manually.

And i don't know what is the problem. 

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:12 AM
  • And some time this message is displays :

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog

debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)
    debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
    debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
    debconf: (This frontend requires a controlling tty.)
    debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
    dpkg-preconfigure: unable to re-open stdin: 

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 12:28 PM
  • In general batch jobs are open ended and they are active unless you specify an exitOption to complete the job in your task. You should look for the task state (which should have completed if the task finished). You can keep submitting more tasks to that job. When you are done you can terminate the job.

NG

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 4:31 PM
  • aha understand , 

But how i can get the output of the task, and the execution parameter such as: execution time ?? 

There are no saved logs and no saved output files displays.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 4:39 PM
  • hi Rawan,

In the portal the "Saved logs" and "Saved output files" are only "saved" if your task uploads them. If you want to look at the logs on the local disk of the VM (which is not "saved" as they aren't persisted somewhere durable like Azure Storage) you can go to the pool -> node -> files in the portal and you should see your outputs there. Or you can go job -> task -> files on node as well

-Matt

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:20 PM
  • Thank you, your notes is really appreciated. 

Question: The output file is a file that i can create while execution and write on it manually using MPI C code???

Also task properties shows "n/a" in the start time, end time and exit code. 

There is no ant interacation between batch admin or user and the batch output,the "File on node" tab is disabled also. When i log to any one of the virtual machines all things is fine but using the azure portal i can't interact with jobs !!!

Any other suggestion ???

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:20 AM
  • Anyone can help me ???

Sunday, July 2, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Can you please tell me how to upload output files to Azure storage via azure portal
    Saturday, July 8, 2017 5:00 PM
  • You want to upload files from the Azure Portal to azure storage?
    I am not sure they support that, but storage does have http://storageexplorer.com/ which supports uploading files.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Friday, July 14, 2017 10:29 PM